Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very interested in purchasing a 1970 Chevelle. I know they are pricey, and can be difficult to find. My question is there anything I should be looking out for before I spend 30+k, down on a car. Any trouble spots that are common, any common places on the frame etc. I should be looking for? I would like to get a 396 SS, what kind of price range am I looking at for a nice clean ride? Any help or advice appreciated.

· Registered
59 Posts

· Registered
1,725 Posts
As stated above, you can get a WHOLE TON of chevelle for 30K. A great LS5 restored car would be awesome. If you want go LS6 or something that has aftermarket stuff on it. That is more than enough money to get a great car.

Daniel

· Premium Member
1,218 Posts
Crawl all over and under the car and look closely. Best to have it put up on a lift for a good inspection of the frame. Look for rusty spots, welds in the frame, signs of past repair, look for anything that looks odd. Check the door jambs, deck behind rear window and inside trunk. Find out what doesn't work (windows, lights, wipers and etc) and what it needs or is missing. Little things can be fixed later, so don't be discouraged if you like the car overall. Best to have it outside in the light to see the body from different angles. See if panels are straight and line up. Find out what kind of body work was done. Look at the glass and trim. Mechanically, ask lots of questions, pay attention to how it starts, how it sounds and runs. Look for leaks, smoke. Notice how the steering and brakes work, does it shift smoothly, any noise from transmission. Try to learn as much as you can about the car before you buy it to know what you're getting into. You get the idea.

$30k is a lot of dough and I would think you should find a very nicely restored car for that money. Have another set of eyes go over the car, maybe have a mechanic check it out with you. If you don't know much about these cars, it might be worth it for you spend $100 to get it professionally inspected before you give away $30k (especially if you try to buy on ebay). If you aren't all that concerned about how original it is or matching numbers, you can find a nice clone for less with the same look and performance.

You've come to the right place for a great start. Good luck.

· Registered
97 Posts
If you have 30K-40K to spend and want to do it on a car that has been researched and "is what is advertised" then why not go to Barrett Jackson and make a weeked out of it. There are a lot of cars that go through there for a steal in relation to what it costs to fully restore a car... The paint/body on my car that is being done this winter will cost me 20K... so if all that work is done... and done right buying one for 30K can be a steal.

Just my 2C

Steve

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, its nice to find another forum I can get info on. I own a 1996 Impala SS and I am a member of a couple great forums relating to those cars that are just fantastic. As far as spending that kind of money for an older car is what I was worried about. That is why I am on here learning as much as possible before I drop that kind of cash. A numbers matching car would be nice but I am not extremely worried about it. I have heard things about the LS6 cars, all being that good, saying that motor is a beast. I would like to buy a Chevelle for no more than 30k if I could find one I liked but, I am one of those people that either you doing all the way or none at all. So I will be on here a lot, asking a lot of questions. Thanks again.

· Premium Member
4,610 Posts
$30K will get you a REALLY nice car. You're in the price range of frame-off restorations or a lower mileage on-frame. The car ought to appear clean underneath, under the hood and in the trunk; kind of the way that 3-4 year old used car looks, if not better. All mechanicals and electricals should work. All the parts/pieces that are supposed to be should be there. Restoration parts should be the "better" quality parts -- correct grain on the vinyl, proper chrome trim, no will-fit service parts, etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts