Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have just sold my 67 Corvette and am looking at a 65 chevelle on the bay... On ebay there is currently a red 65 malibu convert. seller sayes it is a factory L79. I have knowledge of L79 in corvette HT code, but not in chevelle. can you folks take a look at this car and tell me what you think? What is a good price for this car? does it look original? I sold the 67 as a project as my health will not allow me to finish it (see corvette forum) I would like a good driver car with more room. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim:beers:

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome, Jim!:thumbsup:
Can anyone direct me to where I might find photos of a real 65 L79? Does this car(see above) look original? Is this the right place on this forum to be asking these type of questions? I am familiar with the format of the corvette forum, and this is much the same. Just a newbe here. I am trying to find a nice chevelle. I restored a 67 138 car back in 75' red/black. If memory serves, I sold it for around $2800. sure wish I had it now!!!!:sad: Thanks for all of your help, Jim:yes:

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
Rich-L79 is the guy with all the details on 65 L79s. He's a moderator here and has a website at http://macswebs.com/richl79/65L79/ detailing his L79. I see some engine items not correct but Rich can give you more details.

One thing I would ask for is a photo of the engine pad and scrutinize the engine stamp and partial VIN stamp before dropping this much on it.

· Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
I can't view ebay while at work but I'll look at the listing when I get home. The engine suffix should be EC or ED (ED is exceptionally rare) and it should have a partial VIN on the engine pad and the transmission if everything is original.

· Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Overall I'd say it's a pretty decent car. The headers and spark plug looms obviously aren't original and the passenger side outside rearview mirror was not factory installed if that bugs you. He says he has some of the parts that have been removed. I can't tell if the hard to find coil bracket is there or if the air cleaner base is the correct one.

I'd like to see the numbers and the paperwork. If those things check out and the body is as clean as he says, it is well worth the price it is at now (and probably more). It does have a number of small detailing issues but those could be addressed fairly easily. No photos of the underside. At this price range I'd like to also check the numbers/dates on the rear axle, alternator, starter, carb and fuel pump. No huge red flags and certainly worthy of a much closer inspection.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Rich. I emailed him for a photo of the stampings on the block. I assume that they are in the same location as on corvette. Do you know what rear ratio was available for 65 L79? I assume all L79 were 12 bolt posi and 4spd(same as vette). Rear gears could vary in vette most were 3:36. I just read the story on your L79. Neat! Interesting to note that the redline for L79 on Chevelle is 5.8K and on Corvette it is 6K! Thanks again for your help. I will not have time to travel to see the car before the auction ends. I am thinking of bidding $35K if all spare parts are included. What do you think? Are there cases of restamps with chevelle? Think this could be one(best guess). There are lots of restamped motors in corvettes. I have had one or two! Best, JIm

· Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Restamping is around in all cars, certainly not unique to Corvettes. The '65 L79s came with 3.31 gears. I did notice that this particular car did not have the correct L79 tach. It looks to me to have the lower redline tach but I've seen some legit cars with the same problem. I don't think the assembly line guys could tell the difference.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, did not bid/buy the 65. I have a hard time bidding on a can I have not seen. Did that once, got burned. To much $ to just throw out there. However, I am looking for this car(65 L79) would like original ti car and dark green convert.Will consider other colors. No projects please. Tough order I know, but I have the $ and wifes permission. I will pay a finders fee if I buy the car. Thanks to all!! I am guessing that this is not the correct place in this forum to place a looking for ad. Moderator feel free to move to correct locatoin..Jim:yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.