Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ignition switch has 5 posts on the back labeled as follows:
SOL, ACC, GRD, 1-IGN-2, BAT

My new wiring harness has wires labeled:
Ignition Start
Ignition Coil
Accessory Fuse Panel
Ignition Switched Fuse Panel
Battery B+ (2 wires)

My assumption regarding some of the connections is the following:
SOL - Ignition Start
ACC - Accessory Fuse Panel
1-IGN-2 - Ignition Switched Fuse Panel
BAT - Batter B+ (both wires)

I have an HEI ignition and have no external coil, just two open posts on the ignition labeled BAT and TACH. The wiring harness directions say to connect the Ign Coil Wire that feeds into the engine compartment to the BAT terminal on the HEI.

That leaves the GRD terminal on the ignition switch as the only one unaccounted for. Is this where I am supposed to connect the "Ignition Coil" wire from the harness or is GRD supposed to be a direct connection to the entire "ground" system? Any help is appreciated as always.

Thanks mucho,

Mike

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Part of the problem with aftermarket harnesses and the internet is I can't really see what is what. However, 2 thoughts.
You have an ignition terminal on the switch. This connects to the input BAT terminal only when the switch is turned all the way over to the START position. The only wire that goes to this is the wire to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. I think you have that correct.
The only purpose, for the ground wire on the igntion switch, is to ground the TEMP idiot light. This is used to test the TEMP idiot light as you start the car. If you have a temp gauge you don't need the ground.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Ahh, the mysterious GRD terminal. So far I have read a reference to this in the service manual (fuel pump section).They advise you to not use a remote starter switch to crank the engine with the keyswitch in the off position, as it will conflict with the ground circuit in the switch. Until you figure out a good use for this terminal, do not hook anything to it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got it - thanks, guys. I never would have thought to leave it unconnected. As the Wiseguys say, "Wire it up, baby!" (not)

Capt. E

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Mike

Just for your information. The ground terminal on the ignition switch is used to test the water temp idiot light. When the ignition switch is in the start position the GRD terminal is grounded a dark green wire connects to the GRD terminal and the idiot light, testing the light each time the engine is started. Your car, having gauges, didn’t have a wire connected to it.

Not sure about 68 and 69 but on a 70, 71 and 72 gauge dash harness a dark green wire connects the water temp gauge to the ignition switch GND terminal. When starting the engine the water temp gauge pegs. Don’t know why GM did this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts