Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I put in a new rear wiring harness last night for my '72, which gave me brake lights and everythign else. Trouble is, I've got no fuel reading at the dash now. What did I miss? Anyone know where this fuel 'wire' comes from on the fuel tank?

------------------
-Sui

'72 El Camino SS
'99 Aprilia RS
'86 Honda VFR
'99 Laverda Formula

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I thought it was the harness that runs from the front to the back that you changed. In that harness there is a tan wire. This is the fuel sender wire. Sounds like it's not hooked up.
Sent a picture to your email. Hope it goes through.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 01-11-2002).]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah! I reversed the license plate light wire with the fuel sender wire... but actually maybe the reproduced harness is a bit off.. the tan wire ended up working with the license plate light!

Thanks for your helpful suggestions John.

------------------
-Sui

'72 El Camino SS
'99 Aprilia RS
'86 Honda VFR
'99 Laverda Formula

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Errr wait a second.. now I have FULL fuel... but it doesn't seem to be going down! Maybe my car is being really effecient on gas.. but could it be something else?

------------------
-Sui

'72 El Camino SS
'99 Aprilia RS
'86 Honda VFR
'99 Laverda Formula

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You seem to know your stuff. See if this makes sense or maybe someone can point you back to the Tech Reference section. Have to leave at the moment. The gage is driven by the sender unit in the tank. The sender is a rheostat that reads 90 ohms full, about 45 ohms mid, 0 ohms empty. These readings are from the tan wire to ground. The sender has an external ground wire that is screwed to the frame. If the sender's ground wire is broken off or the lug is dirty, the sender reads high (infinity) and drives the meter hard full (< 90 ohms.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, thanks alot John, I will bust out the meter when I get home and take a look!

------------------
-Sui

'72 El Camino SS
'99 Aprilia RS
'86 Honda VFR
'99 Laverda Formula

1 - 7 of 7 Posts