Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for new wheels and tires for my 66 SS. I have seen pics that range from 15-20. I want bigger than stock but not too big (for me 18 and 20). Looking at 15-17. Also trying to find the right wheel. I am a rookie so I would love some pics and advice. Mine is below.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am stuck between rally/original and cragar/spoke look. Originally I was going to do 15 inch with rally and dish. Started getting interested in something like this pic I found. 17s.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I have 17x9.5 +6 offset with 275/40/17 on my 66 both front and rear. Some guys will go a bit wider in the rear and a bit narrower in the front, but I wanted all the same. The wheels are MB old school, they are similar to a tourque thrust but with a more pointed spoke, they are grey with a polished lip.

I agree anything bigger than 17 doesn't look right. You can't get modern good handling tires in 15, so I rule that out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Tom,
Nice looking 66 ! What are you using for front brakes and suspension? Do you have any rubbing?
Craig
It has 4 wheel disc brakes from right stuff detailing. It's just the stock GM style calipers. The suspension is tubular arms arms front and rear. Springs are from Summit 1.5" drop. It also has huge swaybars from summit. I think it's 1 7/8 front and 1" rear.

With the original steering box, nothing rubbed. After I put in the Jeep box, the tires will hit the front swaybar at full lock when parking. Everyone says the stops are the same in the Jeep box, but that was my result. Swaybar is smooth, it doesn't hurt the tires at all. It never hits the fenders.

Here are some pics of the wheels and when I was doing the suspension and frame.

·
Registered
14,977 Posts
Call me old school. I'm running 15x6 15x8 weld drag lites on my 66. Jim

Reactions: p40 and SUS396
1 - 20 of 42 Posts