Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
69 Chevelle SS
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of looking and measuring I finally got my new tires and wheels for my 69. I was looking for something that is original-looking but would compliment the upgraded UMI suspension. I settled on US Mags Bandits in a 8x18 front and 9x18 rear. I went with BF Goodrich g-force tires in a 235-45 front and 275-40 rear. I have to say I;m pretty happy with the whole setup. With the UMI Level III suspension with front coil overs and these new wheels and tires this thing handles and rides amazingly.

One thing I did was I wanted SS center caps and I couldn't find any that would mount on the wheels. So I bought some that bolted on, drilled holes in the original US Mag center caps and bolted the SS caps to them, I then installed the US Mags caps back on the wheels. It looks factory!

My next project is I'm thinking of lowering it 1" in the front and 2" in the rear. I think it is sitting too high. I'd like for the tires to be tucked into the wheelwells a little.

Original center cap with holes drilled to mount the SS caps
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Road surface Asphalt Gas

Inside and outside of the SS caps
Wood Grey Jewellery Beige Button

Wheel with the original cap
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Locking hubs Vehicle

Wheel with the SS cap installed
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

BF Gzoodrich tires
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread

Installed
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Final product. Sits a little to high in the rear for me.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
69 Chevelle SS
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I talked to UMI and they told me I can't cut these springs so I;ll have to buy new ones. When I bought the suspension kit the guy from UMI tried to talk me in to 2" lowered springs for the rear but I wouldn't listen. Lesson learned: listen to the experts!

· Premium Member
3,269 Posts
Thanks. I talked to UMI and they told me I can't cut these springs so I;ll have to buy new ones. When I bought the suspension kit the guy from UMI tried to talk me in to 2" lowered springs for the rear but I wouldn't listen. Lesson learned: listen to the experts!
Yes BUT hard to know what the tire and wheel combo will do for the stance until they are on the car.... I'll be in that situation soon enough
Good Luck!

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
11,569 Posts
At least you didn't do what I did and bought what I consider 1/2 ton truck springs like I did LOL :LOL: I think each of my springs have 10 coils but at least every time I drive the car it brings back memories of buying my first brand new...1/2 ton Truck HaHa, I think your wheels & tires look great, 17-18" ?

· Registered
880 Posts
Looks great and beautiful car ! I really like the wheels and you're going to like those tires. I'm with you and like a full filled fender and tucked tire. I've gone through many tires and springs to finally get the look I wanted.

Items you might already know, and my advice, if you're thinking of going with a larger diameter tire to fill the wheel well front to rear, do that before you buy a set of 'lowering' rear springs or you will be buying another set because it will still set up higher than you want. Sometimes its tough getting the proper spring weight when buying lowering springs. They tend to be to soft. Because of that, some buy double adjustable shocks to get a better ride due to not getting the spring rate they want, compromising for height. (What I did ) You might want to get coil-overs for the rear to get the spring rate and shock combo and this will allow you to adjust the height you want. Lastly, once you start dropping the rear and pending drop amount, you may need adjustable upper or lower control arms to re-adjust pinion angles.

For me, this was one of those rabbit holes for the right look and ride.

Mike

Reactions: shovelrick

· Registered
880 Posts
Yes 18s and 20s seem to be the biggest selection these days.

Mike

· Registered
69 Chevelle SS
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mike. I have the Bilstien double adjustable rear shocks and adjustable upper control arms so I shouldn't have any trouble with adjusting for pinion angle and ride. Like you said, I have a certain look I'm going for and will keep trying until I get that look.

· Registered
1,211 Posts
After months of looking and measuring I finally got my new tires and wheels for my 69. I was looking for something that is original-looking but would compliment the upgraded UMI suspension. I settled on US Mags Bandits in a 8x18 front and 9x18 rear. I went with BF Goodrich g-force tires in a 235-45 front and 275-40 rear. I have to say I;m pretty happy with the whole setup. With the UMI Level III suspension with front coil overs and these new wheels and tires this thing handles and rides amazingly.

One thing I did was I wanted SS center caps and I couldn't find any that would mount on the wheels. So I bought some that bolted on, drilled holes in the original US Mag center caps and bolted the SS caps to them, I then installed the US Mags caps back on the wheels. It looks factory!

My next project is I'm thinking of lowering it 1" in the front and 2" in the rear. I think it is sitting too high. I'd like for the tires to be tucked into the wheelwells a little.

Original center cap with holes drilled to mount the SS caps
View attachment 724594

Inside and outside of the SS caps
View attachment 724595

Wheel with the original cap View attachment 724593

Wheel with the SS cap installed
View attachment 724592

BF Gzoodrich tires
View attachment 724596

Installed
View attachment 724597

Final product. Sits a little to high in the rear for me.
View attachment 724591
Beautiful '69!
Hotchkis 1" drops in the rear.

Reactions: Capt Casey

· Premium Member
4,503 Posts
That looks pretty damn nice to me! Very clever mod on the center caps too!

Reactions: Wingwrench

· Registered
3,673 Posts
Go with adjustable rear coil overs - then you can set the height wherever you like it and not worry about guessing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.