Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am looking forward to browsing around and getting a feel for how this community works. I am from the Central New York area. My first encounter with a Chevelle is when I was 16 and my oldest brother bought a '68 SS with a power glide trans. Didn't care for that much but still really fell in love with the car. It's one of the cars I initially practiced with while I had my permit. Years went by, along with life's issues, and my taste for a Chevelle grew. After searching many sites, shows and surfing the web I found one just at the right time, when I could financially swing it. I pulled the trigger on a '69 SS with a 454 and 5-speed Richmond 3 years ago. And am loving it.
Rick

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
Hi and welcome. BTW without sounding like a know it all ( I am always accused of that anyway) they never made a 68 Chevelle SS with a powerglide. The last powerglide in a SS 396 was in 66. See what you are gonna have to put up with now. You sure you wanna join. Nah, just kidding, guys here are great!

SEE POST 13. Yes I was wrong!!!!

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I have a question for Mr. Billdini. What do you call an automatic transmission with P-R-N-D-L label on the console with the "horseshoe" shifter? 😕 Inquiring minds wanna know.
I would say it is a two speed automatic. I can’t tell if it is a power glide but I do know it is not what is shown for a 67 to 72 SS 396 Chevelle and GM Heritage document will show all TH350’s and Th400 will show D and two lower forward .gears for all Chevelle’s on the column or floor console.

· Premium Member
5,186 Posts
I have a question for Mr. Billdini. What do you call an automatic transmission with P-R-N-D-L label on the console with the "horseshoe" shifter? 😕 Inquiring minds wanna know.
Well I stand corrected. I went out to GM Heritage and looked up a 68 Chevelle with a 396 and it shows a powerglide. My apologies but I have never seen a slip and slide in a SS when the TH400 was available. They say it's a good day when you learn something so I guess it's a good day. Check out this site, they have a lot of information for most GM cars. Here is the 68 and your 69 which BTW did not support the powerglide in a SS 396. Can we agree I was kind of right:)

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Mr. Billdini for those 2 sites. It looks like they have a ton of info, and that's one thing I look for is INFORMATION, but it has to be accurate. Not that I'm going over the car with the intentions of restoring it to original, I just like to know what I'm dealing with and when I can, replace any bad or wrong parts with the correct replacement.

And to Al, I'm in Liverpool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.