Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to the forum. This site is great. I have been reading for a while and desided to jump in. I am going to buy a '69 chevelle this week end and was wondering if you all could give me some tips on where to start the restification? What all is involved in creating an SS clone? Thanks in advance for any help. I look forward to talking to you all.

-Slim

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Oh-oh an SS clone.There's some pretty adamant guys about cloning on this site! And I'm not one of them, as long as she runs low 12's with a big block I DON"T CARE! Just kidding! Skip Cain put together a great section on restoration, Lord bless his big block soul, and I found it really helpful. You'll have to hunt and peck a little 'cause I domn't remeber exactly where it is on this site, but it's here. Turn the tunes on if you have a sound card. They're cool. By the way, check out Al's section on buying a car. I did it ex post facto and got a little ex post f'd-o. I should have read it before I bought! Would've saved me a few $$.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 05-26-99).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey BigBoy (god, I sound like a hooker
)

You should give us some info on what condition the car is in and what you intend to do with it, i.e. show it, drive it, weekend cruiser, drag race it. Depending on the condition of the car and your goals, the place to start will vary.

IMO, I would start by bringing the suspension and brakes up to par. Then focus on the driveline, and finish with the bodywork and interior. Of course, others will have different opinions and you are free to do whatever you want!

Good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buck it's a 69 hardtop. The only real problem spots are the driver sider quarter panel needs to be replace, and the piece where the windsheild meets the hood is pretty rusted. Everything else seems to be in good condition. No motor or trans. But my buddys cousin has a 396 out of his 70 'velle. It needs a rebuild. It has a power brake booster but I think all the lines are shot. The interior is in really good condition. A few cuts and scratches here and there. a quarter size rust hole in passanger floor board, but still feels very solid. I think I want the out side and inside as original as possible. But I want more grunt from under the hood. I really want a cool car to cruise and race (with in the limits of the law of course!)on saturday nights. So that's where I'm at.

-Slim

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Just thought I'd say, "Hey BigBoy, Welcome to the Team", the handle is DG.

I was lucky enuff to have read Al's article on buying a Chevelle, before I bought mine.

I had already decided to buy the most rust-free car I could afford. Wound up on a fairly (30 year old fairly) clean car from the south.

But if you can weld, have at it. The 69 sweems to have a lot of GM sheet metal still availible. At least more than my 70.

Long story, longer....Welcome again.
DG

------------------
DG :)
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey Slim, sounds like a pretty nice ride you're looking at, oh and where are my manners, Welcome Aboard! I'm not handy with a torch so I found a really solid car ( which is tough in Buffalo unless it's show quality and 15,000) but mechanically it was really hacked upon. I've unhacked it, and I think keeping your '69 near original is the way to go. That the plan with my '67. As you probably know, you can keep a big block fairly original looking and still get some wild grunt out of it. Good luck. Hope you don't mind if I call you Slim, if I called you BigBoy, my wife would wonder where my new hobby is taking me!

------------------

·
Registered
262 Posts
Slim

getting started on your restoration will come naturally. Its that stopping part that gets you.

One day I decided to fix that leaking heater core. Before I even new what happened I had the front clip off, the engine out and the front suspension in pieces. I just now got most of it back together. Seriously, start with the Items that contribute to safety and road worthiness and if you find yourself with the urge to turn it into a parts bin, take alot of pictures

have fun

clark

[This message has been edited by Clark (edited 05-26-99).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Welcome to the site Slim, I hope that the car is in good enough shape to fix the safety stuff so you can cruise it this summer. I had to do a frame off on my 64 SS Conv cause the frame was shot. Sad to say I'm still at it after 12 years, but it's gettin there I've got a rolling chassis now and the body back on it.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everybody! I can't wait to get started. I'll keep in touch with the progress. I know I'm going to need alot of help!

-Slim

·
Registered
446 Posts
Slim,
Another good place to start is Nashville, Tenn, Moss Wright Park, June 10,11,12. Chuck is throwing a big party for Chevelles and their owners and fans. I got my registration back today. # 195.
Check into ACES if you haven't yet!
MoeMan

·
Registered
104 Posts
WELCOME Big Boy, as far as the cloneing goes I'M not a purest after all this hobbie is what we make it I too have a cloned 66 but hey it looks good and thats allthat counts as long as your happy with what you've got.the car your looking at sounds goodthe're alot of guys here that can give you plenty of advice on 69's again welcome and happy motoring....
Gene........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.