Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assembling my 454 short block, installed the timing chain and it just seems like it is too short. Supposed to be a high end true double roller, steel gears, torrington bearing, 9 keyway, etc. It went on, but it is super tight, no slack whatsoever between the cam and crank, to the point where if it got any tighter at all as it warmed up I think it would break something. Thoughts? If it were a set for a line bored block, (which it isn't supposed to be), would it even go on? TIA, Jim.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Without being able to feel for myself it's hard to say. Was it a PITA to get on? Try exchanging it for another one. Maybe someone goofed and gave you the wrong one.

·
Premium Member
4,503 Posts
If you were able to get it installed, I wouldn't worry about it. Tight is good, it'll stretch with heat and breaking in.:yes:

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
If you can get the cam bolts in it should be good....

·
Registered
24 Posts
i just installed a rollmaster high end nitrided gear with the iwis chain toriington bearing 9 keyway and it seems REALLy tight to me. The bolts went in and can turn over crank/cm but definetly feel some resistance. Curious if thats the same brand you have?
I put a manley(which is a sa gear set on) and not nearly as tight but i wanted what was supposedly the best chain so i got the rollmaster.
i know rollmaster claims the iwis chain is "prestretched."

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i just installed a rollmaster high end nitrided gear with the iwis chain toriington bearing 9 keyway and it seems REALLy tight to me. The bolts went in and can turn over crank/cm but definetly feel some resistance. Curious if thats the same brand you have?
I put a manley(which is a sa gear set on) and not nearly as tight but i wanted what was supposedly the best chain so i got the rollmaster.
i know rollmaster claims the iwis chain is "prestretched."
Yea that is where I was going. I have a line honed block and needed a .005 set. I started out with a rollmaster set when I built the engine. I used their formula on their web page to find out what set I needed (which in rollmaster came out to a .006 set). Put it on and it too loose. Not horribly loose but like it needs another .002 thou shorter set. So I exchange for the shorter set and it is looser than the std set. Ordered another of the same and it is looser yet. Got my parts guy to get 1 more of the original .006 sets and it was about the same as the first .006 set. These were Rollmaster sets packaged for Engine Works, so I don't know if that had any bearing on the issues I was having, but I was not impressed at all. I sent them all back and ordered a .005 Cloyes Hex-A-Just set and it fit perfectly.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
DIfference in the line hone sets is the broaching on the crank gear. Chains are the same. Line hone set uses a plus size on the broaching to take up the slack.
Yep...I was just making it easy by saying shorter set. I measured the gears for the different sets and the crank gear in the .008 set was smaller than the .006 set:sad:. And both were smaller than the std. cloyes hex-a-just gear I was comparing them too. None of it made a lick of sense. All I know is the Cloyes .005 set fit perfect. I bought the rollmaster to get the IWIS chain but finally gave up. The first Cloyes hex-a-just I bought about 5-6 years ago came with an IWIS chain but the .005 set I got 2 years ago came with a Rolon which is a good chain as well, just doesn't have the reputation I have heard about the IWIS chain. Oh and I have never had any issues with the hex-a-just set. Key is to install it correctly.

That said a lot of this may have come from the fact that the sets were packaged or repackaged by Engine Works. I know now that Sunset carries true rollmaster sets.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The first Cloyes hex-a-just I bought about 5-6 years ago came with an IWIS chain but the .005 set I got 2 years ago came with a Rolon which is a good chain as well, just doesn't have the reputation I have heard about the IWIS chain. Oh and I have never had any issues with the hex-a-just set. Key is to install it correctly.
You sure that wasn't a Renold (France) chain you got on that Hex-a-Just? Cloyes used the Renold chain on the HAJ sets before they began using IWIS (Germany), but there are still some sets with Renold chains out there. The single roller HAJ sets for the GEN VI BB's still uses the Renold 1/2" chain. Rolon chains are made in India, and are not bad for mild performance use, but they can't compare to the high-end IWIS offerings.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
You sure that wasn't a Renold (France) chain you got on that Hex-a-Just? Cloyes used the Renold chain on the HAJ sets before they began using IWIS (Germany), but there are still some sets with Renold chains out there. The single roller HAJ sets for the GEN VI BB's still uses the Renold 1/2" chain. Rolon chains are made in India, and are not bad for mild performance use, but they can't compare to the high-end IWIS offerings.
I thought it said Rolon on it but heck that was 2 years ago. I guess I'll find out next winter when I pull it all down. I also thought Rolon was made by Renold. If you do a search for Rolon it comes up on the Renold India site. And yes I know they do not match the IWIS chain but after 1 week and 4 sets trying to get a rollmaster to work I gave up. Then the cloyes came in without the IWIS even though the older one I have had the IWIS and I just said the heck with it and installed it. I was about to reuse the IWIS chain with the line honed gears but that chain had 3 years and about 750 passes on it so I didn't. Still in the attic in the garage though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts