Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I threw in a new starter because the old one was shot, as well as battery cables and the alt. is new as well. It starts alot better now and power is stable, but as it turns over theres a small chirp sound, nothing loud or intence, but it wasnt there before, and obviously shoudlnt be there. Should I have lubed the starter teeth up? Or I dont know.... :eek:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Sounds like it may be binking a wee bit and needs a shim. Check for clearance between the teeth. I think 1/8" is required.

Peter

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Originally posted by Peter F.:
Sounds like it may be binking a wee bit and needs a shim. Check for clearance between the teeth. I think 1/8" is required.

Peter
I have no idea what binking is. Try it's binding a wee bit.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah im having a bitch of a time, throwing on a new starter isnt tough. First Autozone sold me the wrong one, and took it back, ive pulled it on and off so many times this week, Ive never used shims before, I somewhat know how they work. It starts fine but makes sounds... i just dont want it to eat anything up or do damage.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I changed the flexplate and starter nose for 168 tooth versions and they were binding. Sounded kind of like your description. Does it happen every engine revolution? I guess my flexplate is slightly off center because that's what I had. I stuck one thick shim in and it stopped.

Peter

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah that sounds like what it is. Ive replaced a good dozen or two starters but not once put shims on, and never had a problem till i replaced it yesterday, it just makes the sound on every start up for about 1 second then stops. Shims huh....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts