Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here installed new speakers into the kick panels on a 68? I know you can buy them with the holes pre-cut, but they're asking too much, for less than what i have. So what I really want to know is what aftermarket speakers y'all have installed, and what's the largest anyone has? TIA

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
SeaWolf - hey Nawlins Chevelle man - where you at? I'm on the Wharf....You have any King Cake yet? Speaker installation is on my list, but not there yet. Did you consider other locations for front speakers? If so, which ones? Thanks....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I was a student at Tulane, but I'm now at LSU in Baton Rouge. I was going to put my speakers in the kick panels up front and in the stock 6x9 slots in the rear deck. Tweeters can also be mounted anywhere, but I have some ideas. Since my car's yellow, I was looking at the pioneer rev series speaker. They're high quality, avg price, and yellow! I'm getting the windows tinted first though so that no one can see in and try to steal them. Hope it works. What ideas do you have?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I was thinking in the doors somehow or up under the dash facing downward....I haven't done the research yet, so don't know the feasibility of either. Checked out your website - nice car; I like the bucket seats too!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to update that site right now. The pics are really old and I have some nice new seats. In the doors would be great, but I don't know how much room there is, and door panels cost much more than kick panels if you mess them up, or for mere worth of the car. Under the dash would be good and hidden, but you wouldn't get the sound quality with them facing downward. Hard to mount there too. Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Yeah, I agree that the poor sound quality with under the dash. My plan is to visit one of the auto install shops and see what they think. By the way, how do you like your TH350 and 3.73 rear combo? I just decided to go with 3.73 with my TH400 - can't wait to purchase and install. Until that's done and paid for, I'll listening to my two Jenson triax speakers and my 1970 cassette am/fm tin sounding stereo...

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don't know if 68 and 69 doors use the same basic door shell, but my 69 has what appear to be factory speaker openings in the doors. Anyone with a little skill with an X-acto knife would be able to cut a matching hole in your existing panels (I don't think I would do this with, say, 300 deluxe door panels .... since nobody makes a reproduction of these). When I add front speakers, I'll put them in the doors (since a previous owner already cut the panels). Wiring could be simplified by using some of those door jam contacts like these http://www.painlessperformance.com/catalogframe.htm

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, that's another promblem with speakers in the door. You have to wire it through the door panel and back into the car. It's much easier to cut a hole in the quarter panel so that everything is inside the car. As far as my 350 and 3.73 gears, they're good for around town driving and nice at the track too. But the rpm's are a little high for my taste on the highway. Even with 28" tall tires I'm running around 3k at only 65mph. I personally want to be around 2.5k, but I also have 3 inch pipes, so it's kinda loud. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
All - thought you might like to know...I found a great looking speaker set up in below chevelle. Hope the owner doesn't mind my putting the pic here. This looks great to me. Just have to find out the installation details.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't see any speakers in that link, just the outside of the car. :confused:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts