Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The city and county here want to dig DEEP in your pockets for permits, zone changes or anything else they can come up with, glad to see you're gettin'er done (y)
Yup excellent John! I learned a bunch in this thread
Thanks for the kind words. It certainly stands out and dominates the landscape.

Took the crew 7 hours spread over 2 days. They did an excellent job.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,973 Posts
Looks excellent! (y) (y) basically like the same garage the city wouldn't let me build but 26'X32', door layout was a different, they wanted the roof to have asphalt shingles, I didn't want to poke holes in the roof

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Very nice ! it's kind of like watching them build an erector set and it goes up FAST.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Got all my lights temporarily hung so I can work.
Electric service is still pending.

5 rows of 3 for a total of 15. These are Sunco 4 ft LEDs, 4100 lumens each. They will daisy chain up to 4 lights. Got them off amazon.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Whoa, very nice! I’ve been watching this thread with a ton of interest, since I want a similar space when I retire and move to a more tax forgiving place.

So what’s the plan for wall and ceiling finishing? What materials do you plan to use? What about heat?

Thanks for sharing your project!

Joe

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Whoa, very nice! I’ve been watching this thread with a ton of interest, since I want a similar space when I retire and move to a more tax forgiving place.

So what’s the plan for wall and ceiling finishing? What materials do you plan to use? What about heat?

Thanks for sharing your project!

Joe
Thanks for the kind words. For the walls I’m thinking 1” foam board insulation held in by rattle can spray foam up to the 11’ mark. For the ceiling and remaining walls, probably professional spray foam.

For heat and a/c probably go with one of those mini split systems.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Small update, was able to mount my floor pulls over the weekend. Some pics of the raw parts, weldments, standoffs and bolt on parts.
The standoff top plates were cast into the slab and were supposed to be flush. Had to grind my way to them.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I’m probably going to feel stupid once you answer this but, here goes.
What do the floor pulls do? They look real solid. Way more solid than the bolt holding them to the substructure.

Still watching your progress for ideas when it’s time to build my garage. 😁

Joe

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’m probably going to feel stupid once you answer this but, here goes.
What do the floor pulls do? They look real solid. Way more solid than the bolt holding them to the substructure.

Still watching your progress for ideas when it’s time to build my garage. 😁

Joe
Pulling in dead cars with a winch?
Blackhawk is correct, for winching in dead cars and other heavy objects. I have a 9k winch on my jeep, so I can pull either the jeep or chevelle or my friends dead cars in from either bay.

When they are not in use I’ll take the top part off and fill the hole in the floor with a button head socket head cap screw.

The main bolt (3/4”) shear strength is 32k psi, so I should be good there.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. It was tough to judge scale from the photos. I never would have guessed that was a 3/4 bolt.
Those welds are awesome! Like a stack of dimes!

Joe

Reactions: SSJohn

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks for the explanation. It was tough to judge scale from the photos. I never would have guessed that was a 3/4 bolt.
Those welds are awesome! Like a stack of dimes!

Joe
Sorry about the scale issue.
The top plate is 4x4x1/4
Bottom plate is 6x6x1/4
Tube is 2”(I think)x1/4” wall
Angle is 4x4x3/8
Yeah, they’re pretty big.

I used to stack dimes for a living a long time ago. Now I just stack them for myself and friends.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Anyone run up against this before? I’m planning on a 30 x 40 three bay shop with a lift. Went to go get a building permit and the city planner said I had to apply for a zoning variance because max size in my neighborhood 750sf. I already have a shop on the property, but it’s a smallish 650 sf, just under the limit, but I can’t put a car in it by way of design.

The variance involves sending notice to everyone within 300 ft of my property, putting an ad in the paper, posting notice in my yard, and presenting my case at a monthly zoning meeting. An abstract company will take care of everything but the meeting.

Already bought the building, have a concrete guy lined up, and notified the electric company about service.

Anyone ever get a zoning variance rejected?
Yeah I'm a builder . You kinda put the cart before the horse there lol
Why buy the building before the local beaurocrats approve ??

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Anyone run up against this before? I’m planning on a 30 x 40 three bay shop with a lift. Went to go get a building permit and the city planner said I had to apply for a zoning variance because max size in my neighborhood 750sf. I already have a shop on the property, but it’s a smallish 650 sf, just under the limit, but I can’t put a car in it by way of design.

The variance involves sending notice to everyone within 300 ft of my property, putting an ad in the paper, posting notice in my yard, and presenting my case at a monthly zoning meeting. An abstract company will take care of everything but the meeting.

Already bought the building, have a concrete guy lined up, and notified the electric company about service.

Anyone ever get a zoning variance rejected?
Variances are a pain right in the arse .
You need to gsin any edge you can to 1st it .
Get letters from neighbors and your gonna need a real good reason why you should get it when others cannot .

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Variances are a pain right in the arse .
You need to gsin any edge you can to 1st it .
Get letters from neighbors and your gonna need a real good reason why you should get it when others cannot .
Ummm.....the variance was approved last year. Building is up. Didn’t need to get letters from the neighbors, and I am not aware of others that could not. Didn’t need a good reason.

Just about every other property in my neighborhood(older hood, no HOA) has a shop, some smaller, some a lot bigger than mine. I was pretty sure I was gonna be ok.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts