Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I went to build a 30x60 pole building for storage. I called the township, they have no rules.
I knew the township clerk and told her there has to be something, I don't want to start and then be told no.
called the county, they said ag or residential, what's the difference, ag needs no setback residential needs 7 feet.
Anything else I ask, nope. Building permit needed? You could if you feel the need to drive down here, I'm kinda busy, he said

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Cool, you were at the fun part, getting started. How is it going now ?

I had a new 30x48x13 pole building erected right after I moved into our "new" place last year too. 2 guys .... 3 DAYS and it was done, except for the 0verhead door !!

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Cool, you were at the fun part, getting started. How is it going now ?

I had a new 30x48x13 pole building erected right after I moved into our "new" place last year too. 2 guys .... 3 DAYS and it was done, except for the 0verhead door !!

View attachment 695159

View attachment 695160

View attachment 695161
Lol, yeah, the fun part…had a concrete contractor delay my slab for almost 2 months. Had to fire him and hire another. Finally have a slab in place, waiting now on the building to be manufactured. I expect it to be up mid December. I’ll post up the progress tonight.

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
328 Posts
Make sure your concrete slab is thick enough and reinforced wherever you intend to install a lift. Typically, the concrete is poured thicker than the rest of the floor where added reinforcing is used for the lift or any heavy uses. Don’t assume a 4 inch concrete slab is fine for the whole garage....actually I wouldn’t go less than 6 inches with deeper thickness and rebar where the lift is licated. That’s what I did and I’ve never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
My dentist went up. He was land locked, so he added a two car lift that disappears into the ceiling. I have not seen it, but it sounded like a good idea. I don't imagine it was cheap though. o_O

·
Premium Member
4,237 Posts
My dentist went up. He was land locked, so he added a two car lift that disappears into the ceiling. I have not seen it, but it sounded like a good idea. I don't imagine it was cheap though. o_O
All that candy and cookies you eat paid for it.

Reactions: SFD and MarkP

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
"Lol, yeah, the fun part…had a concrete contractor delay my slab for almost 2 months. Had to fire him and hire another. Finally have a slab in place, waiting now on the building to be manufactured. I expect it to be up mid December. I’ll post up the progress tonight."

Well dang, here I figured you were already in it...:oops:
I had concrete contractors telling they were 3-4 months behind last March. Only the one found the time to do this in early May for me and they were, actually, about the best price I was quoted too. They are a LARGE company and have many crews, so this helped them keep busy.

Make sure your concrete slab is thick enough and reinforced wherever you intend to install a lift. Typically, the concrete is poured thicker than the rest of the floor where added reinforcing is used for the lift or any heavy uses. Don’t assume a 4 inch concrete slab is fine for the whole garage....actually I wouldn’t go less than 6 inches with deeper thickness and rebar where the lift is licated. That’s what I did and I’ve never had a problem.
For 2 post, yeah, 6" is minimum and I like the anchor bolts in the concrete, not drilled after...
For a 4 post 4" is plenty. The base pads are quite large and spread the load over a larger area. I had 4" poured this spring in the new shed for my 2, 4 post lifts. Contractor said it would be fine, as they use 45,000 psi grade concrete for garage floors, just for this purpose. I placed wood blocks under the lift feet for more clearance too. I can park my 4x4 Silverado under the '70.

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
1967 Chevelle SS 396 L78 (Sold in 1970)
328 Posts
That's correct...I have a 2 post 9,000# lift. I am thinking of adding 2 4-post lifts, since I am running out of room (garages are never too large!). Those will not be anchored. What make 4-post did you go with? I am looking at American Custom Lifts (USA made), probably will have 220v as they lift faster.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
That's correct...I have a 2 post 9,000# lift. I am thinking of adding 2 4-post lifts, since I am running out of room (garages are never too large!). Those will not be anchored. What make 4-post did you go with? I am looking at American Custom Lifts (USA made), probably will have 220v as they lift faster.
Mine are cheapo Direct Lifts brand with 120 vac motors. They are just for storage and work fine for that. I don't have power in the new shed and probably won't for a while. The extension cord runs 200 ft to the other "shop" for electric.
Friend of mine just bought a Wildfire brand lift and it is a much nicer product than mine and didn't really cost much more. They claim it is all made in America too. That company is local to us, so he had it installed too. No idea if they have a distributor in your area and shipping MIGHT be a bit prohibitive ??

4 Post Car Lifts | Safest, Highest Quality On The Market | Four Post

They, also, make a double lift for MarkP...

WILDFIRE DOUBLE WIDE
$7,995

• 10,000-lb. maximum lifting capacity
  • 6' 9" maximum clearance on top locks
  • Freestanding design requires no bolting down
  • Perfect for parking, storage and service
  • Runway widths accommodate most all vehicles
  • Ship weight 3,880lbs
https://static.wixstatic.com/media/...39d_87533e85a38644dd8f3a8982a9bdecf8~mv2.webp

Reactions: Chevelle SS 396/375

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I good on thickness, 6”’slab with 18” deep x 4’ x 4’ lift pads.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Had 47 tons of 2” marble delivered Friday…I now have a driveway to the shop.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Now that it is spread, do they bring in a load of fines to spread over it to bind it together so it isn't loose ?
Amazing how much material it takes to make a driveway. I'll be getting about 30 ton of class 5 gravel next week to connect to my back building too.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Now that it is spread, do they bring in a load of fines to spread over it to bind it together so it isn't loose ?
Amazing how much material it takes to make a driveway. I'll be getting about 30 ton of class 5 gravel next week to connect to my back building too.
Last time I did that in New England (was living in Connecticut at the time), we had a huge vibratory roller (about the size of a big dump truck) come in to roll and compact it. Surprising how well it held it together during the winters even with a plow pushing the snow.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
No fines, I bought washed 2” marble which is actually 2-4”. My buddy that’s doing the tractor work took me out to a drive he did about 9 months ago. It is still all in place and there are no rocks at all in the cattle guard. No fines used. We got out and walked on it, it didn’t move. At all. Didn’t move while driving on it either (Ram diesel one ton). That sold me on using crushed rock instead of gravel.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Building is going up on Thursday the 10th. Finally. Pics to follow.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
7,973 Posts
The city and county here want to dig DEEP in your pockets for permits, zone changes or anything else they can come up with, glad to see you're gettin'er done (y)

·
Premium Member
16,910 Posts
Yup excellent John! I learned a bunch in this thread

21 - 40 of 68 Posts