Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member here on team Chevelle since 2008. I'm now 42 years old and I'm on my second 1966 Chevelle and I have learned a lot and always seek answers to my Chevelle related questions here. I regularly come to the site to check out what's new and who's done what to their Chevelle and it usually gets me inspired to try something new or change something on my car. Recently I've been a little put off by others short responses to questions saying "this has been discussed numerous times" or "try to search before you ask" and other condescending remarks from other members especially to new Chevelle owners or forum posters. I get the fact that there is a wealth of information and you've been on this forum since day one but if you want to keep this great site fresh and engaging for future chevelle owners, give people a break and answer their damn questions instead of being so damn self righteous! Sorry rant over it just bothers me....
Signed, a possible future lifetime member sponsor.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
I agree that new people should never be treated that way. However, there are a couple of people lately that ask the same basic question with slightly different wording on common problems, almost like they are waiting for a specific answer. I can see how people get frustrated with them, it would be better for potential respondents to ignore those posts.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Completely understood and you're right about there being a wealth of knowledge here. The search function will usually get you more info than you can use. In those instances where it doesn't answer your question(s) completely, then yeah posting a new topic can get a conversation started and hopefully find you what you're looking for. The trouble is folks are lazy at times and the same questions get asked over and over and over. So don't be surprised when you get that response. Its the internet. If you let someone's sharp response upset you, anywhere online can be a tough place to be. Instead, take for what its worth and see if you can find what you're looking for. Never know what you'll find. When you cant, drop a post and jump right in!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
When I have a specific question, I do the search thing first. When there is no answer I'll start a new post and preface it by saying "I did a search and couldn't find an answer" or something similar. Then usually someone will chime with what I'm looking for. I agree there are some people get a little annoying with their "do a search first" answer, but just take it with a grain of salt and move on.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
I like to do a search first. then I'll know better which questions to ask if need be. it also help's me know what I'm talking about. but I understand what mercmd is saying. bottom line is the help and the answers are all here. thank you.
hmardown

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Recently I've been a little put off by others short responses to questions saying "this has been discussed numerous times" or "try to search before you ask" and other condescending remarks from other members... but if you want to keep this great site fresh and engaging for future chevelle owners, give people a break and answer their damn questions instead of being so damn self righteous!...
X2! I agree 100%…hem…no... 200%!:thumbsup:
and
When I have a specific question, I do the search thing first. When there is no answer I'll start a new post and preface it by saying "I did a search and couldn't find an answer" or something similar.
Exactly. :yes:

Claude.

·
Premium Member
6,829 Posts
This is how I look at it. People are in the forums for pretty much two reasons, either they are looking for information/ answers, or they are here to offer information answering questions helping others solve problems and build cars. Which is what this site is really all about. Now if you are not here in the forums for either one of those reason, what are you doing here? I have answered the same questions many times and was happy to do so every time. Without new members on this site it would become very boring. The forums would be very quiet.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Completely understood and I understand both sides of the fence here and everyone's comments make great sense. For instance the tire database. There are some people looking for more information than what's available in the database but there's always that one guy who just types a condescending "TIRE DATABASE" as a response which deters others from trying to help out. With people like myself getting into more modern pro touring style staggered wheel and tire setups there isn't a lot of information regarding the subject. A few but not a lot. When I complete my setup, I'l be sure to add it to the thread just to build up the database. That's all I want to see happen is keep building up the database for all subjects. Some people's answers to certain questions may be better than others already in the search. Basically, the more the merrier in my opinion.

·
Registered
947 Posts
This forum is actually really good in relative terms, compared to the rest of the internet and other forums out there.

My experience here is very positive. The only thing that grinds my gears a little bit sometimes is when people don't read the entire question before posting an answer, and very obviously skip over or ignore a big detail in the original post.

But if that's the worst thing that happens then I guess life must be pretty good around here :thumbsup:

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Completely understood and I understand both sides of the fence here and everyone's comments make great sense. For instance the tire database. There are some people looking for more information than what's available in the database but there's always that one guy who just types a condescending "TIRE DATABASE" as a response which deters others from trying to help out. With people like myself getting into more modern pro touring style staggered wheel and tire setups there isn't a lot of information regarding the subject. A few but not a lot. When I complete my setup, I'l be sure to add it to the thread just to build up the database. That's all I want to see happen is keep building up the database for all subjects. Some people's answers to certain questions may be better than others already in the search. Basically, the more the merrier in my opinion.
I got the Tire & Wheel Database started many moons ago and understand your concerns, up to a point. Once question I see asked over and over again,by mostly new members, is "What is the widest and tallest tire I can install on my car?" Being just a tiny bit more specific would be really helpful. Not asking generic questions in the database helps reduce clutter,too.
If all else fails, drop me a pm with your questions and I'll try to help you out.

·
Premium Member
1,519 Posts
Not sure if it's me and I'm doing something wrong but, I do searches all the time. I'm lucky if one or two threads are even remotely close to what I'm looking for. I mean I've seen some so far off topic I'm left scratching my head. Then I've read some posts that are questioning an exact problem that I've encountered. I know that if that person did even a very basic search, they would have found my post asking a question to my problem, and then finally what resolved it. I remember one specific resent post on a dash speaker issue. Same exact problem I had. I referred them to my post, and answered the question in their post. Never heard about it again. I even felt so compelled to help, I PM'd them. Still nothing. Ok now I'm ranting........

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know what clint44, I really appreciate your starting the tire and wheel database. Actually, this website has helped me through numerous projects on my Chevelles over the years. Everything from removing wiper arms to tips on dash removal, wiring schematics etc.etc. The way I look at it Team Chevelle has saved me THOUSANDS of dollars just from the advice I have received. I am now a proud lifetime member of this website and hopefully a pivotal part of the future of this site. Thank you to everyone who has contributed their great knowledge over the years. It does not go unappreciated!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts