Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The original hood hinge rivets on my '69 SS 396 are worn. I've contact Willie @Hood Hinge Repair to have them rebuilt, but it appears he does not use factory correct rivets since he drills out the original rivets and slightly oversizes the hole. I hear his quality is excellent.

However, before I go that route and have the original rivets drilled-out and lost forever, I am consider this latest reproduction - seems much better than prior repro's. Anyone have experience with these:

Amazon.com: 69 Chevelle Chevy Fullsize Hood Hinges - LH & RH (Sold as a Pair): Automotive

or these @Ecklers for a few more bucks (I think they are the same as the above link).

Chevelle Hood Hinges, With Springs, 1969

Appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Re: Newe Repro Hood Hinges - Any feedback on these?

I can't comment on those repop's, but my original owner opted for repop's, and one day I went close the hood, and it failed on the way down. Buggered up the paint on the corners. I replaced with original GM hinges. 2X the price but what is your paint worth ?? If you already have GM hinges, send them to Willy. Next time I need hood/door hinges done they are going there...

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Willie does great work. Most people would never realize that the rivets have been replaced. He has done 2 sets for me, and I am very happy with the quality and service I've received.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had the same problem last summer. After some research I decided to have Willie rebuild my old ones. I can't take a change of having a hinge break and mess up my paint job. The rivets look the same to me.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,416 Posts
If he makes the rivets bigger it will be mostly in the part between the hinges not seen to the eye.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
SdD, I know you want to keep it as original as possible, but willie did amazing work on mine. Pretty sure mine were bent, I got them back and the hood closes perfect now.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts
:cool: Keep it to yourself (as I'm embarrassed to say that) the repops on my car are 10 years old and have been excellent.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just got my hood on a couple days ago, after getting the hinges back from Willie. I couldn't be more pleased.

·
Registered
7,813 Posts
Crazy stuff...I've had dozens of cars with oem hood hinges with virtually all of them working just as they should. Over the years maybe 1 or 2 sets have been noticeably unstable. Possibly a regional thing.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I noticed the hinges were going bad on my 70. The rear of the hood would stay popped up a but (1/4 inch?) after closing it... I could push down on the hood, and it would sit fine...

I tried a set of repro (Goodmark?), paying for the better quality set...

I had trouble getting the hood to line up, turned out the slotted holes weren't in the right spot... After a frustrating hour-plus, I pulled the repros off and put the originals back on. NO "witness" holes, but within 5 minutes, the hood was aligned correctly...

I am planning on hood and door hinges with Willie for my '66... Someday...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts