Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new member and located in Middle Tennessee. I’m restoring my 70 4-door and I want to replace the small 10 bolt with either a 12 bolt or a Ford 9 inch.
1. What is the width for the rear end that I need? I have drums as of now.
2. I’d like to stick with the 12 bolt unless the Ford 9 inch is much better. What do yall think?

thank you very much in advance. I’m a novice at this, but I’ve wanted to restore a Chevelle my whole life. Very excited and humbly take all the help I can get!

·
Registered
360 Posts
What are your plans? Cruiser or drag car, what size engine to tear up the 10 bolt? Get a plan you can live with and adjust for your plan.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
I'd go with a 12 bolt, direct fit and you can easily add disc brakes, plenty of kits out there, or leave the drums

·
Registered
From Australia to the USA.
187 Posts
Reach out to @Lionel-n-Chevelles if you looking For a 12 bolt.

He will build you one, and might be the cheapest around.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I put a Quick Performance 9” in my 67. 3:50, Tru-Trac, billet ends, 11” disc brakes, any width you want (that will work with the oem style brackets) I got mine 1/2” narrower than stock. Under $2,200 shipped to my door. I had to paint the housing, bolt the pig in and bolt the brakes on. I’m extremely happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im finishing up an aluminum 355 that will be around 450hp. Zero plans to race anything, just don’t want the more highway gears in it in case I get an itch to punch it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely want to add disc brakes sooner rather than later. I’m just concerned about busting the rear end before I get to that. Is that valid or am I overreacting?

·
Registered
From Australia to the USA.
187 Posts
The 10 bolt is fairly strong unless you got 3 pedals and no sympathy or you like the smoke more than the go.

A good posi and 10 bolt will look after you at 450hp if you look after it.

·
Premium Member
7,049 Posts
The rebuilt 12 bolt I have with 3.73 posi has held up to around 400 hp with the previous 454, and on the street with the 590 hp 489 so far so good with MT 295/55r15" DRs but haven't really been able to hook up and only driven the new motor about 5 fun miles, I cant swear to it but Id be willing to bet a 12 bolt built right will hold much more than 450 hp

·
Registered
588 Posts
I put a Quick Performance 9” in my 67. 3:50, Tru-Trac, billet ends, 11” disc brakes, any width you want (that will work with the oem style brackets) I got mine 1/2” narrower than stock. Under $2,200 shipped to my door. I had to paint the housing, bolt the pig in and bolt the brakes on. I’m extremely happy with my purchase.
exactly same thing in my ‘66. Love it, it’s been great and much cheaper than a12 bolt

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think 10-bolt rear ends have held up pretty good for me in the vehicles I've owned with them. All four speed cars, probably only 3 to 400 horsepower, but being 4-speed cars they took their share of abuse! I think the weak link in the drivetrain has always been new joints for me!
😇

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
Im finishing up an aluminum 355 that will be around 450hp. Zero plans to race anything, just don’t want the more highway gears in it in case I get an itch to punch it.
so what gears are you wanting??
stick or automatic car??

·
Gold Founding Member
5,800 Posts
It’s an automatic and was thinking about something around 3.55 or a little better
Have the 3.55 gears put in your 10 bolt. With an automatic you will probably never break the 10 bolt unless you make some stupid torque.
BTW I am also in Middle Tennessee

·
Gold Founding Member
5,800 Posts
It’s the smaller of the two 10 bolts. Think it would still hold up?
Yes for a cruiser with less than 400hp you should be fine unless you like neutral drops.
Edit.. I just noticed you said 450 hp, I still think you would be ok unless you just totally beat on it. But if you are going to change it I would go with a 12 bolt, they are plentiful and bolt right in.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I'm in the rebuild your 10bolt with quality parts camp. With that engine and automatic you will be fine with proper axles and rear end support. I had the same 8.2 10bolt behind several 400/450 HP automatic cars and was fine. If you wanted to go 12 bolt Lionel-n-chevelles as mentioned before would set you up. If your heart and wallet are set on aftermarket, I like the Curries but they are expensive as compared to the same options from QP in a 9". Looking at Currie options page it specs out at $4612 as compared to my similarly optioned QP 9", that's $1200 more. Even stepping down to the Currie basic 11" disk kit still had it $900 more.

Big Gear Head is usually in the Transmission & Driveline section to give great advice as well. He would be able to tell you exactly what you need. PM him.

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts