Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new radiator for my 69' 396 .030 over 11:1 which I think is putting out 425 hp or more. Will the Griffin coper brass radiator from Summit work, or should I get a regular 4 core radiator?. Does anyone have the Griffen radiator, and does it work good.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't have any experience with Griffin, but I'd go with a 4 core radiator. With the engine you have, you need all the cooling power you can get. Call Summit directly or get online with them and ask about the Griffin vs. 4 core. Good luck.

------------------
Jeremy J. Bennett
72 Chevelle
Member #298

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just installed a Griffin aluminum radiator in my 70 Chevelle last night. I have a 383 with around 450hp. I drove around last night with great results. Based on last nights temperature (upper 80's) I would have run around 200 to 210 degrees but last night it stayed at 175 while moving and 185 at the stop lights. I let it idle by my garage for almost 5 minutes and it got to 190. I didn't buy the direct fit model - too much $$. I got the "circle track" model which measured 31" X 19". The one I pulled out was 34" X 19". A slight tweaking of the upper support plate was needed to clear the hose. By the way, I have the 1" core model, not the 1.25" model.

[This message has been edited by 70Chevy (edited 07-22-99).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 4 row (they all have 1 core)Modine brass/copper for my 70SS with a blown 540 stroker motor. Using a Stewart water pump, car runs about 195-200 crusing and 210 at idle in 105 degreee Phx, Az. heat. The Modine has auto tranny cooler tank and fits with no modifications. Cost is about $170.

------------------

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same modine as Chris in Phx in my 72 with a 454 roller cam motor.It is 98 degrees here in wisc. today and I was cruising at a190.Very happy with the modine and paid the same price. John

·
Registered
326 Posts
70Chevy- I want to get an aluminum radiator too. I also don't like the price of the direct fit models. How did you rig up your car.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went through two aluminum radiators in my daily-driven ZZ4 (approx 350 miles per week); company name starts with a "B". Both of them developed cracks where the cores met the tanks near the top. Summit and the radiator company replaced the first one but the second one leaked just as bad. Got a refund. Switched to a US Radiator copper-brass and haven't had any problems with it after several months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.