Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PerTronix has a new unit out now which should be even easier to install. The current unit is an 1181 which contains a magnet wheel to be installed under the rotor, the pickup moduel and shims to shim between the gear/housing (requires removing the dist from engine).

The new unit is 1181LSC. IT IS A MODULE ONLY!!!! They have developed the new one to pickup from the cam lobes that once opened the old points. HOW ABOUT SOME TECHNOLOGY!!!!

They sent me a unit to test for them. I don't know which car to put it on since they all have the old style already. Guess I will just have to get another car.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the heads up. I was just going to look at purchasing Pertronix for my '70. Is the new one available on the market yet?

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
'70 SS 396

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just talked to my OKC distributor. They ARE now available (you will probably have to have your local distributor order them because it is a new part), and the price is about $6. more than an 1181. VERY WELL WORTH IT.
Although, let me add, your local distributor may have some old 1181s in stock that they want to get rid of cheap. If the price is right, take it, if you don't mind removing your dist. Me personally, I PREFER to remove a stock dist anyway because I CAN'T live with that giant gap between the gear and housing on a stock dist, so I ALWAYS shim it. And I will do so with the new 1181LCS.

------------------
Tom Parsons

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.