Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to start up a rebuilt motor for the first time. Can I just run a wire to the dist. on a switch and one to the starter, also on a switch? Got to fire up soon. Been sitting. Any help would be appriciated.

Eric

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Dean:
yes

Is it in or out of the car?
Thanks Dean. In the car. Nose is off, body just resting on the frame. My harness is going o be replaced, but I have a friend who wants to fire it up before we start bodywork. Motor is a 454. New rings, bearings, cam & lifters and rebuilt heads. Been sitting all summer since done. Just want to keep it simple. A couple wires is easier than messing with my harness. Thanks.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I can use a little help with this also. I will be doing the same startup on my rebuilt 402 in my 72SS. Body is off frame and I want to start up engine before putting the body back on. I do have a point distributor , but can use a HEI if it makes things any easier.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The issue with points is that after the car starts the coil + is feed through a resistive wire that drops the voltage. If you don't use a resistive wire you will burn up the points or the coil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the most important thing to do before starting a new engine is to make sure and prime the oil system first...you can just hot wire the ignition and starter,,after you get it started be sure to run it at higher rpm..ie 1500 to 2000 for the first 15 to 20 minutes to break the cam and lifters in

1 - 6 of 6 Posts