Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a 383 with FItech, the car starts then gets hot quickly and shuts off. Won't star again until it's cooled down.
We tried bleeding any air out of the coolant and still have the same problem.

It is a 71 Chevelle with stock gas tank, frame mounted fuel pump and Corvette filter/regulator. Motor, Fitech system and fuel lines are all new.

Anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried replacing the thermostat and removing any air from the system. My next guess was a fuel problem maybe need to see if the gas cap is vented, it might be vapor locking.

·
Registered
499 Posts
How hot is hot?

And it will crank but not start? Have you tried some starting fluid or gas down the throat to determine if you are missing fuel or spark?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The few times that I had trouble starting, I could hold the FiTech handheld in my hand and watch for errors. You can also put it in "log" mode to capture the log to see if any errors presented themselves. The Dashboard view in log mode is enough to capture any errors that may pop up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How hot is hot?

And it will crank but not start? Have you tried some starting fluid or gas down the throat to determine if you are missing fuel or spark?
It starts easily when it's cool. Then heats up quickly and shuts off. Once it's hot it will not start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The few times that I had trouble starting, I could hold the FiTech handheld in my hand and watch for errors. You can also put it in "log" mode to capture the log to see if any errors presented themselves. The Dashboard view in log mode is enough to capture any errors that may pop up.
I will try that. Won't be at the car until Saturday.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Shouldn't shut down obviously. Is the height of the fuel pump mounting location at or below the bottom of the tank, and is the pump no more than 24 inches from the fuel out on the tank? If it's close to the top of the tank and too far from the fuel out, your probably starving for fuel. If that's the case, you'll burn that pump up soon.

Don't try to lean out the idle AFR a bunch. Popular for people to do, but not always a good idea. Pump gas these days doesn't work that great with an AFR of 14.7 like it would have 40 years ago. Motor will run warmer than it should especially if it tends to run warm in the first place. Gen 1 SBC motors should be run at 180-190 degrees on the street. My SBC hits 210 once in a while in the summer stuck in traffic, and has been doing that for going on 6 years. Still runs strong.

Not enough idle timing can also make a motor tend to run warmer. Might be 20 other reasons, but that's enough guessing from my end.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
It starts easily when it's cool. Then heats up quickly and shuts off. Once it's hot it will not start.
You need to clearly define "will not start" and "shuts off"

What exactly happens when it gets hot? Does it act just like someone turned off the key? If so, does anything else in the car quit working? Or does it gradually lose power then die?
Then after it happens
1 - when you turn the key, does the starter motor engage and the engine turn normally
2 - if so, does it do anything while cranking, any popping/smells, noise
3 - do you have spark while cranking when it won't start? <- Important troubleshooting
4 - if so, dump a thimble of gas down the throttle body and crank, does it fire briefly then die again? If so, check fuel pump pressure/power. If not, maybe it is flooding out, how bad does it smell?

I would look at just about everything but the FiTech unit itself. If it was the problem, more likely to never start and run right. Could be a ground that loses connection when hot. Try a jumper cable from battery neg to FiTech mounting bolt for kicks. (keep clear of moving and hot parts)

·
Registered
758 Posts
Can you verify spark by putting a timing light on a wire while someone cranks. Then verify fuel by cycling the key on, looking down the TB and looking for the prime shot. What are your crank fuel numbers at breakpoint 170?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts