Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Chevelle 350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member located in Little Rock AR, married with 3 kids and work as a CIO at a heavy equipment company. Have always wanted a Chevelle and finally came across the means to purchase one. I must admit I am new to working on vehicles and would describe myself as a YouTube mechanic at best. We are new to our area and don't have any family close by so don't have much to lean on in terms of help so have turned to this forum seeking help and advice. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Welcome to a great forum. What year Chevelle? Post up some pictures when you can.

·
Registered
1971 Chevelle 350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Chevelle is a 1971 with a 350 , the previous owner had plans to drop a 396 into it from my understanding but never got around to it and due to financial issues had to sell it and rather quickly. As being new to the classic car world I did as much research as I could prior to purchase but would love to know other input on if I made a solid purchase or not.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Automotive tire Automotive design Car Motor vehicle Camera lens

Land vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Welcome and you are amoungst quite a few people with lot's of good info.
Nice pics of your new ride.
You may want to research...if not already done... your VIN number and that will tell you pretty much all you need for starters....
Where it was made what month what configuration it is or should be....
If you search on this site you will see the links to vin numbers for a 71...etc.
Use the search community tab top centre of your screen and there will be posts with this information.
Car looks good and as long as you are happy with what you bought....nothing else really matters... Drive it and enjoy!

·
Registered
1971 Chevelle 350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome and you are amoungst quite a few people with lot's of good info.
Nice pics of your new ride.
You may want to research...if not already done... your VIN number and that will tell you pretty much all you need for starters....
Where it was made what month what configuration it is or should be....
If you search on this site you will see the links to vin numbers for a 71...etc.
Use the search community tab top centre of your screen and there will be posts with this information.
Car looks good and as long as you are happy with what you bought....nothing else really matters... Drive it and enjoy!
The VIN number on the vehicle is listed below.

136371R105202

from my research I took it as
1= Chevrolet
36 = Chevelle V8
37 = 2 door sport coupe
1 = 1971
r = Arlington Assembly

not sure what the 105202 is ? is there any way to determine motor that originally came with the car and if it is a true SS ?

·
Premium Member
13,091 Posts
Welcome to the site. Your at the right place. Here is some info specific to 71 Chevelle to determine if it is an SS.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
The 105202 is just the sequence number. Vin does not tell what engine. Maybe look for a build sheet. Not sure of a common spot for Arlington cars.

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
New member located in Little Rock AR, married with 3 kids and work as a CIO at a heavy equipment company. Have always wanted a Chevelle and finally came across the means to purchase one. I must admit I am new to working on vehicles and would describe myself as a YouTube mechanic at best. We are new to our area and don't have any family close by so don't have much to lean on in terms of help so have turned to this forum seeking help and advice. Looking forward to getting to know everyone.
If you want, or need, information and/or help with your Chevelle-------------------------- THIS IS THE PLACE ------------------------- to get the help you need. PERIOD!
Although, I will add, a new Chevelle forum has just opened up, but I have very little information about it.

Oh ya, probably would be a good idea to start investing in some basic tools---------------------------NO, just a screw driver and pliers won't cut it.

·
Premium Member
1966 Chevelle SS396
555 Posts
Welcome! Nice lookin 71!

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Car looks great. Welcome aboard. Ask away about anything you may need?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle. Very nice car!

·
Registered
1971 Chevelle 350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great looking car. What's your plan for it??
Its far from perfect right now in the middle of replacing the front brake system , it has a dakota digital gauge system and the fuel gauge is not working. Would like to convert the column shifter into a floor mounted system and needs an overall tune up. It sounds amazing in park but once it gets warmed up there is a serious power bog so need to go through timing and carb adjustments.

For the most part it will just be something I take out every once in awhile until I can get things more in order.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts