Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, Have vin and cowl #'s but that does me no good. Block has been decked so no engine #, but he said the code was CRV which is 450hp454 4 speed. Has build sheet but was eaten by mouse while in storage since 1988, but has all pieces. Has factory round gauges, I need to call back and see if it has factory tach w/6500 redline. Has factory cowl induction hood. What else can I ask about to see if it is an LS-6 or an SS? If it is not an LS-6 but a SS should I still get it? Please help, hopefully leaving tomorrow to get it.

------------------

ACES member #3339
Owner of 69' SS396 Chevelle and soon to be owner of 70' LS-6

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can still check some of the engine component numbers to see if they match what's right for an LS6, but it's no guarantee, since someone could have purchased all the right parts to make a clone LS6.

Engine block casting # 3963512
Cylinder head casting # 3964291
Intake manifold # 3963569
RH ex manifold # 3916178
LH ex manifold # 3909879
Distributor # 111437

There are more #'s, but this is a good start. Hopefully you can still read the important details on what's left of the build sheet.

------------------

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
PLEASE dont let your emotions push the sale, things sound shakey and Ive been in this position before..sounds like you are so excited about getting the car that you may overlook things and get burned...the high of buying a car always wears off about an hour after you get it home, and reality sets in about what you bought. Do your research and really be sure its the right car, unless the price is so low you can afford to take chances. Dont get burned!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't know how original the car your talking about is but a few less obvious things to look for are:
*Deep groove alternator,crank and water pump pulleys
*3/8ths fuel line-january-feb build date had single lines later had 2 lines(one a return)
*37 amp alternator-1100837
*air pump was standard on 4 speeds
Of course anybody can change these to make it look correct.Bottom line is to be totally sure you need a build sheet.If the guy has a partial build sheet from the car make a copy and post it.I am sure one of us can make heads or tails on this car.

------------------
Dean Ciampi(Spring Hill,FL)
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
313 Posts
I did see a convertible 70 car with a 454 badged as an LS-6. Looked like the real deal except one problem, air conditioning. I asked him if he restored it and he said no, he'd bought it just like it sat. Didn't have the heart to tell him since I wasn't totally sure, but later I confirmed on this site that all solid lifter LS-6, L-78 cars could not get factory AC due to cooling concerns. Easy way to spot a fake.
jmw

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the car being original it is except for the motor which has been rebuilt and peped up some. It does not have AC. As far as getting it I think I am because 1. I am not paying LS-6 prices for this car 2. It still could be a LS-6 3. I have wanted a 70 w/ hood stripes for a while 4. It is probably alot nicer than my car and 5. I can sell my car, buy this one, and put a few dollars in my pocket. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the support.

------------------

ACES member #3339

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, well it is not an LS-6 due to the 5500 red line, but does that mean it is an ls-5? I am still buying the car because I am not trying to resell it AND PUT A WAD OF MONEY in my pocket, I just wanna enjoy the car. Tomorrow I get it and I will try to post some pics, but I have set up a temporary web site w/ pics of my 69
www.freeyellow.com/members2/bigyellow/chevelle.html
check it out and see what you think. Again ill keep you all updated on my car.

------------------

ACES member #3339

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
Just to offer an opinion, and nothing else.
If in fact, this is a genuine SS 454, 4sp, ac, w/COMPLETE functioning CI hood (which of course means it WILL have a 12bolt. GET DOWN and look!), then this is really the better car to have. If you can get it up (the car) enough to slide under with a flashlight and check the tranny VIN and it matches, then at least it is a real 4sp car. If it DOES NOT have the original motor or the numbers are gone, then, they're gone. Period. Also, you said you were NOT paying LS6 $$$$$$$$$$$. So make your best deal. If you JUST HAVE TO HAVE AN LS6, then wait for one. But otherwise, if you want LS6 power, then BUILT it. In this day and time, with all the aftermarket engine components to choose from, it is too easy to build a motor stronger than a factory LS6. And that's what I'd do.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I dont have to have an ls-6 it would be nice though. Supposedly the engine is built beyond stock, ex. light weight rods, forged pistons, roller rockers and all the goodies. He said it was FAST! and to be careful because it will get away from you. The bad part is that I wont see the car for about 3 weeks, he is going to get it and I cant because I have school. I wont get to see it until I have a break. But it will be worth it. I also need to sell my car before I go home so I can bring my daily driver back to school.

------------------

ACES member #3339

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.