Discussion Starter #1
Got My New LED tailights in!! What a difference! Tell me what you think
Before:

After w/ LEDs

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks great!

Where did you get them, any circuitry changes and how much did they cost?

Has anyone used the 194 type LED's? Do they run hot? I need some bright bulbs for the Autometer Phantom guges in the Chevelle & the Biscayne.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Looks great. Where did you get them, any circuitry changes and how much did they cost?

I saw some 194 type led's @ local auto parts store. Anyone use them? Do they run hot. I need some bright bulbs for the Auto Meter Phantom gauges in the Chevelle & the Biscayne.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got them from technostalgia. Its is a circuit board w/ 20 LEDs on each tail lightthat replaces the light bulb, and all i had to do was take off the rear quarter panel extensions. The wiring was SUPER simple. Just hook them up like they were a regular light bulb, plus the addition of an extra ground wire to the body. I didn't even have to install the new flasher. Signals, tail lamp, and brake lights worked on the first try. (the new flasher is like a $3 part anyway)
Technostalgia

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
kamino-nice truck.

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
I'm in the middle of designing some LED replacement "modules" for my '64 now. Nobody makes a replacement for this year yet. I'm planning for 26 LED's per module, of varying brightness (mcd) and aiming.

I could go with the 1157 replacement "bulbs", but one thing to remember with LED's is that the hyper bright diodes have a VERY narrow beam pattern, usually less than 20 degrees. What this means is the light emitted goes nearly straight out, and is really dim when viewed from the side.

In my case, the tail/stop lenses on my car are clear red with no fresnels or diffusing elements molded in the plastic. An 1157 replacement would only shine straight back, giving minimal light to the side.

The reason why the replacement "modules" are so expensive is the circuit board design, and the fact that the hyper bright (12000 millecandela) LED's are nearly $1.25 EACH!

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Here's the 1st prototype board for the '64 LED replacement before a dip in the etchant

After etching:

After devicing (that's reflective aluminum tape):

6 feet away, Tail and Stop, darkened room, straight on:

6 feet away, Tail & Stop, dark room, 30 deg. off axis:

I've got about $45 in parts, and my time. The "milky" LEDs are Taillight only, and 1500mcd each. The Clear LEDS are Stop only, and vary from 8000mcd to 12000mcd. All LED's emit red light when powered (they're clear when off). The whole rig when powered draws less than 1 Amp!

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lookin' good

1 - 12 of 12 Posts