Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about picking up an original 70 GM SS cowl hood for my 70 Malibu, from a local guy. His price is about average, but I have a question about hinges.

My stock hood developed cracks on both sides, on the frame underneath, about 1/2 way from the front to the back of the hood. I was told this was a GM crumple zone of the hood. But the cracks can be caused by bad hinges too.

Anyway, I was wondering how I can tell if I need to replace the hinges? Would I order new springs too? Or should I just replace them both (springs & hinges) since I am pulling the hood?

I just don't wanna pull the hood more than once. Let me hear from people who have been there, done that.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
These hinges are still available new from GM, as are the springs. What you have described sounds like the hinges are worn and moving around at the joints. I had the same problem and replaced mine. The problem went away. SSuper Dave

·
Super Moderator
12,840 Posts
DG,
A lot of mid 80's Chevy trucks had the same problem and I think it was caused by not keeping the hinges lubricated. I have seen some that the hinges were so tight, you could see the hood bend when you tried to close it. A shot of WD40 does wonders.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

·
Registered
337 Posts
Make sure you change the hood springs, they are different for a cowl induction hood.
GM part# is: 3848272 fits all 70-72 all with SS, Heavy chevy , and Monte Carlo. I think they are still available.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.