Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I am sorry if this goes on forever but I'll need to explain and give a couple pics while I'm at it since I'm new here. My father bought this 65 2 door wagon a couple years ago and ended up doing alot of work and dumping in a 590 hp 540 from Smeding performance. It has a be cool aluminum radiator, Vintage air front runner serpentine system, a 15 or 16" SPAL fan (no shroud) on all the time, and he had some high flow thermostat in it and he used water wetter. After he had this all together he had a very hard time maintaining any kind of manageable temperature 230-240. OK he was killed a little over a year ago and I managed to get the car. I have started to work with its problem by putting a seal on the electric fan (had a 3/8 gap between the radiator and fan). I installed a 10" pusher in the front (on all the time) removed the high performance thermostat and installed a regular 160 deg (they didn't have a 180). I've also backed the timed back to about 8 degress btc, it had started at 12-14 and Ive come down in increments. In the winter in AZ this car wil maintain 190-200, which I am OK with. Now its getting hotter and I am driving it around to see what it will do. Its running between 200-215 right now at 85-92 degrees outside so its gonna get worse. Now I know it takes a certain amount of CFM to cool a given amount of HP. This fan is not it and I dont know why the people at Be cool told him it would be alright or if thats where he got his info from. Its maybe a 2200-2500 cfm fan and then the added 500 cfm from the 10" just isnt going to do it. Another problem is the vintage air front runner system makes for no room at all. Between the A/C pulley and the radiator is 3". Now I've put a 17" semi flex mechanical fan on it with the 10" still in place with somewhat the same results. OK after all this, sorry felt I needed to explain where I've been, the only thing I've been missing is a shroud, and not very familiar with Chevelles have no clue what might fit this or if I'm going to have to make one. Any Ideas? There is also a pic of my 71 that doesnt look like that anymore its under construction.

· Premium Member
7,236 Posts
Maybe the fan in the front is acting as a dam for the back. Pullers are more efficient than pushers. Try removing the fan in the front, maybe installing it on the back. Or just try running the mechanical fan you have now. That radiator SHOULD be able to cool your motor. With just a fan on the back, as a puller, going down the freeway at 60 you should have adequate cooling as the fan shouldnt really matter at that point. If your still running that hot with that much airflow, something else is wrong. How is the water pump you have on there now? A stock shroud should work with some slight mods, but you will have to mount a stock top plate back on. Again I recommend you remove the fan in the front. I hope this helps, Brett :beers:

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok but theres 2 shrouds. The orginal one and an aftermarket plastic one but I would imagine both are for small blocks. Will it make a difference with the big block. The water pump is a brand new reverse flow one that came with the front runner system. I am already checking into oversize/undersize pulleys from vintage air.

· Registered
18,121 Posts
does the distributor have a vacuum advance can on it?
if not, why not?
if so, where is it hooked up? just moving that from a ported vacuum source that only applies advance when you give it a little gas to a manifold vacuum source that gives it advance all the time might help. you might need to play with the carb to get the idle mixture and speed under control, tho.
also, pulling the timing back might not have been the right thing to do. retarded timing will cause an engine to run hotter than advanced timing.
and ditch that fan on the front- all it's doing is blocking airflow.
also, make sure that any air that gets into the engine bay is coming thru the radiator- block off any openings between the radiator and radiator support, and seal the hood to the top of the support.

· Premium Member
1,232 Posts
OK
First off your rad is not stock configuration .. so dump the idea of a original shroud ... and stick with electric fan set up ...on a thermal switch on at 195 off at 175 .
the single 16 inch wont do the job for the h/p rating your running you need twin 14 inch pullers or 12's . see this post
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163313&highlight=alumitech
I know your tight for room .
lose the pusher fan ... its doing more harm then good ... I wont go into detail now ....there was nothing wrong with the hi flow t/stat and should be 185 degrees .. 160 is useless .. again im not going into detail .

TIMMING !!
Too retarted will cause things to run hot ... total advance should be i think there are post in heating and cooling .. I think it was 38 degrees initial around 12 degrees ... but by all mean's do a search .

keys to cooling - efficient radiator ... that you have ... good flow or hi pro water pump ... high cfm rating trough the radiator ... 70% distilled water 30% coolant .

here to help with cooling Don

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK timing I'll work with I've run between 14 and 8 now and no real difference. I have not tried full manifold vacuum, which I will. The problem with a dual fan setup is the radiator is 22 1/4" X 18 1/2. I havent found a dual fan setup under 3" that will fit.

· Premium Member
6,858 Posts
First off. Welcome Chad.
Now do a search for over heating. This was discussed just yesterday. Another member had the same problem after he installed a serpentine belt system. It turned out that the system is an under drive and was not spinning the water pump fast enough to keep the car cool. He replaced the serpentine system with the stock pulleys and V-belts and solved his over heating issues.
Heres the thread. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168723

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
awhile back, Steve Jack talked about running too lean causing overheating, make sure you check this as one of your possible problems.
One thing that had run through my mind. He built it and only had a demon 750 laying around. Too small I know.The minimum I've found that should go on it is a built 850 from demon especially for 502's and 540's. I can get a good air/fuel mixture I just don't know if its enough.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK I've installed a mechanical fan (semi-flex). Fabed a shroud which is still rough. It was recommended to put the vacuum advance to full manifold vacuum, which I did and I think that was a big help. I took it down the road today on the freeway for several miles. Got off and took side streets for couple miles. I got back on and drove home. It never got over 185. I know thats too cool because I still havent changed it back to a 180 deg thermostat, but it was the coolest I've ever seen it run. It was only 87 degrees here but at 185 it has plenty of room. Thanks for your help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.