Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new set of headers but didnt have the money for ceramic. I will get tham sand blasted and painted with some high temp paint. Any suggestion on the brand of type of paint to use? What is up with thermal wrap? Why does it void the warrenty on most headers? What are the pros and cons of using it? Please just some quick info would be nice. Ill have some picks up shortly of how they turned out and hang on my car.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I used Por-15's Por-20 high heat resistant paint and it has held up very well for 3 years now:http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1452/.f.

As far as the wrap goes I really don't know why it voids warrenty, Maybe it can trap moisture?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Thermal wrap on headers trap the heat under the wrap immensely. After running the header wrap on my headers then pulling it off to get them ceramic coated the headers were all blistered and scabby from the heat trapped under the wrap. The wrap doesn't allow the heat to escape and breath . The best paint I have used for headers is BBQ paint . I have tried all the high price Header paint , same thing they rust peel etc. The BBQ paint almost goes on transparent then dries flat black . When you fire your car up it actually goes like a natural cast iron colour . I have had the best luck with it . I told my friend that races stock car he tried the same thing , his engine runs wide open for longer period of times than mine obviously , he swears by it too.

Dave

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up getting the headman tork-step headers. 1 1/2 - 1 5/8 primaries and 3inch collector. Listen to this, i just went to a shop today to get a quote on straight dual exhaust and they quoted me 400$ with knock off mufflers. can you belive that. Idk i really think that is too much, i have gotten quoted by a little self owned shop 250 with out knock offs. I only went to the other place b/c they are a high performance shop that has alot of nice cars for sell. Can someone mabye give me a link to the bbq paint and what is the key step to painting and making the paint last on headers.

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts
Can someone mabye give me a link to the bbq paint and what is the key step to painting and making the paint last on headers.
Walmart, K-mart, Ace, TSC,
You can find it any where.
The best way to paint your headers is to first clean them very well with acetone or alcohol, Then hang them up and apply four or five light coats. Don't try to get full coverage with the first coat. Let them dry about 15 min between coats.

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Listen to this, i just went to a shop today to get a quote on straight dual exhaust and they quoted me 400$ with knock off mufflers. can you belive that. Idk i really think that is too much, i have gotten quoted by a little self owned shop 250 with out knock offs.
What are you planning for exhaust?

Pipe size?

Crossover? X or H?

Full dual exhaust with tail pipes?

What brand and style of muffler?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I dont know about the exhuast yet. Im thinking 2.5 duals straight out. dont know bout mufflers but i like the pypes street pro mufflers. im open for suggestions though. Im thinking bout buying a kit and doing myself.
Have you looked at Summit Racing yet? I have heard they have some pretty good and reasonable exhaust kits.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I thought the problem with wrapped headers is that moisture gets trapped in the wrap and rusts out the pipe.

I have used VHT paint on my headers and they look great after 2 years. I think it costs about $4.50 a can at autozone.

·
Registered
422 Posts
bbq black..........it does work well.......... i had a rusty ass set of headmans and wire brushed all the loose rust off and cleaned um off a little. applyed some bbq black let om dry to the touch and installed them......fired that puppy up and cured the paint.... 2 years now and the paint still looks good???????????? ive tried alot of others befor that ( on new headers ) and it just went up in smoke immediatly and looked horrible the whole time!! make sure you read the back of the can some of those paints require cureing, if thats the case ya gotta bake um some how........... letting them dry all the way and then intalling them dosnt work............dry to the touch.... install....and then fire it up and burn those suckers!!.........oh ya dont over due it a couple light coats works better than a can per header!!

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
If its available in your area Tremclad high heat stove paint is available in a quart can,wire brush or sand your headers,its very important to mix this stuff up really good,then you can brush it on,it stays on a whole lot better than rattle can stuff,I get dollar store brushes and throw them away when done.
Guy

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
I had mine bead blasted, wiped them down with alcohol and painted them with black VHT. About 2 cans for a set. Mine still look good except for the bottom where they're all scraped off.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
I sand blasted mine at my friends house, which took a while to get all of the headers since his sand blaster wasn't that big, just big enough to fit long tubes. Then i blew them off with the air compressor. after that i hung them up from the garage with clothes hangers, got the torch out and i heated up each section before i sprayed on the high temp. spray can. I forget which brand it was but it did have a picture of a sbc with a blower on it haha, it's what made me buy it. anyways by heated it up, it opens the pours in the metal so that when you spray on the paint it goes in the pours and seals them off, hence, when the headers heat up again when you start it the pours are already open and filled with paint so it doesnt expand as much and turns that gloss into a flat black with no bubbles and cracks. i since have bought patriot ceramic headers for 250 and sold my old headers for 150, but i do have some pics. of the new headers and old headers.

old

new

1 - 18 of 18 Posts