Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my elky, the headers were $99 specials that the last owner put on - I have his receipt "generic headers" for $99.

They have a nice "rust" patina to them. Very nice.

The exhaust comes off the headers straight back through the mufflers, and dumps straight down to the ground right behind the doors, under the car. This is ILLEGAL in CA - and I've been lucky enough to be warned by a police friend who noticed the reverbation when I was talking to him. A few neighbors have "mentioned" the loud reverbation in the mornings when I go to work (5:30 AM).

Anyway, I'm thinking (gonna) get an exhaust system - probably Flowmaster - soon.

Should I consider replacing the headers, so I don't have to weld a different header/exhaust connector if I decide to do that later? Since I don't know what a "generic" header is... I have no idea what it is, performance, etc. Any suggestions in terms of headers; i.e., Hooker, Headman, coated/un-coated, etc.

The engine is a 350 (excess of 350HP) with a T-400.

------------------
>>>Rod<<<
A.C.E.S. # 2894
Team Chevelle #115

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm not sure about the "rules" in CA, but if you use good headers, such as Headman Ceramic coated, they won't rust & you love'em. Then get a 2 1/2" kit from Torque Tech and bolt in some proper exhaust with a proper exit you should be fine. Just use the 20" Dynomax Super Turbo's and they should be neighbour friendly.

My 64SS has a 350/ZZ4 and the headers fit in beautifully and will enjoy a long and good life in there.

Torque Tech tel # (912) 242-0691.

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS.

ZZ4 Powered with real attitude !

Team Chevelle #37 - Gold Member

[This message has been edited by Canuck64ss (edited 06-19-99).]

·
Registered
826 Posts
We just got a set of DynoMax's for our '67 two days ago. They cost $90 from Jeg's. I know if you throw another hundred on that you can get the ceramic coat. I'm sure I'll regret not doing it, but we're broke, what can I say? They're 1 5/8" primary pipes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Regardless of brand, if the headers have standard bolt up flanges/collectors at the outlet, you can replace them in the future without a big problem. If mine and they were this bolt/flange type and working fine, I'd leave em , get an exhaust system, and go.
PS I never saw any other type of outlet, they're pretty standard.

------------------
Gotta have a Chevy !

[This message has been edited by 283v8 (edited 06-18-99).]

·
Registered
326 Posts
I want to get new ceramic coated headers but if I dump the extra cash to get the coated ones I dont want to half to dimple them to clear the steering shaft or the lower control arm. Who makes some headers for a 65 SB Chevelle that fits (1 5/8, 1 3/4, or 1 7/8 inch). I just dont want to dent the expensive coating.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I learned a long time ago, always buy the best, you'll never be sorry. Well, when it came to header selection for my 67, I went with Hooker Super Comp's (one of the best I'm told), and had them coated with a High Temp powder coat. This is not the best coating, but the business that did them guaranteed them. Just installed a week ago, we will see.

·
Registered
9 Posts
283v8
I am in the process of a restoration on my Chevelle and have replaced the headers. I purchased the same brand although the next model up in value. Although the flanges and collectors are essentially the same shape and size, they are in a different place. Ther are about 4" rearward from the old ones and angled divverently. I found this out when I re-installed my pipes (completely intact - I did not take them apart)and now I cannot hook them up. Oh well, the neighbors got an earful last week when I finally restarted the car. Right now I'm debating buying a new torch for my tanks (my neighbor and his torch (no tanks)moved away)vs. towing/trailering the car to a muffler shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.