Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I just sold a 1910 model T and im looking at starting restoration on my dream car. Im gonna try and do most of it myself but i need some help with the motor and tranny. Is there a web site that i can go to, to learn more about the motors. I need some help understanding compression, cams, boreing and other things. Also which tranny is the best for the 454 with around 500hp. I would like to have a 5 speed. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Use the search, or just browse through the old stuff posted here...If a posting is over your head, Email the person who wrote it and ask clear specific questions. All you want to know is here....

------------------
68 El Camino...Slow, Much Work Required
98 Z28...Fast, No Work Required
Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX -- Where? That's what I said..

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
A Richmond 5 speed is an excellent choice. Just be sure to keep your rear end at about 3.08 or so. Run a search on it. Many members seem to be running them. For more detailed, almost academic discussions of engine functions also try www.performanceprofessor.com Heady stuff, but good theory.

Good luck on your new project!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-14-99).]

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
I have a factory 5sp 76 Cutlass (which I bought new) with a 455, Richmond 5sp and 2.41 posi. The 5sp Richmond is a tough, all around good street tranny. Fifth is 1:1, not overdrive, and 1st is 3.27:1. Therefore, you need, as Gene says, NO LOWER (numerically higher) than a 3.08 gear. Something in the 2 series is really good. This kind of combination gives you good torque multiplication as well as good hiway gearing. If you could find a 2.56 12bolt posi, that would be near perfect. But a 3.07 12bolt (3.08 is a 10bolt) would be the upper limit with the Richmond 5sp. If you don't want to go with this kind of gear, then Richmond makes the same case with 6sp. Sixth is OD-------can you say many $$$$$$$$$.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 12-14-99).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.