Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post here, just picked up a restored 69 SS, a "made in Canada" real deal true SS frame off restored by the previous owner.

This car doesn't have PS (which seems kinda strange) and I want to add it over the winter and do a couple other things; one of the park light sockets is a little flaky so will get some new ones. Where's the best place to get parts?

Last time I had a 69 Chevelle SS it was only 8 years old and I just went to the local Chev dealer to get parts and I'm guessing a person can't do that these days.

Here's the new ride:

and the old ride many years ago:

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Welcome to Team Chevelle. Beautiful cars, Will, from a southern (Washington) neighbor. I also have a '69 SS. I had a '68 SS back in 1970 and many others in between those. That's Mt. Baker in the background of my posting photo.

I bought parts primarily from National Parts Depot (NPD) and Ground Up Restorations when finishing the restoration of my present car. Those and then a lot of stuff from small vendors and private parties on eBay. There are other parts vendors (Ausleys comes to mind) that probably are good to deal with also. Where it is best for Canadians to buy I don't know.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
Reactions: Fisherguy

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Welcome fellow Canuck. Nice car ! I got most my stuff through OPG but that was so long ago it probably isnt even relevant now. This question comes up a lot and National Parts Depot seems to be on a lot of lists. Just be carefull on freight costs and remember prices shown are US$$ so add your 33% or so money exchange. Or as I call it the 'bend over surcharge'. Wherever you decide to buy get them to ship complete as multiple shipments to fill backorders will kill you on freight. Enjoy your ride !

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Welcome, Will. That Chevelle looks great in Monaco Orange. Oshawa made 903 SS396 Chevelles that year, and they can be documented.

It's funny about the manual steering. Back when these cars were new and people street raced, power steering was seen as a power-robber and an extra $100 on the bottom line (which you get back at trade-in anyway).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I know I'll like the new car as much as my old one 40+ years ago and I'll be sure to check out the sites you suggested.
Looking forward to tinkering on it to.

One thing you guys might know about, this car was built in Jan 69 which from what I understand was right in the middle of the labor dispute, so the previous owner says this car was built by management, some things were done a little "unusual", like this car has the passenger "astro ventilation" dash vent on the passenger side but NOT on the driver's side..? You guys heard of stories like that?
I'm wondering if maybe when they restored the car they used the dash bezel of a 68 maybe that didn't have the driver's dash vent, or is the story he told me true?

·
Premium Member
11,262 Posts
Welcome from the Tacoma area!

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Welcome Will, to Team Chevelle.....:waving:

·
Registered
55 Posts
I live in Ontario but have used Muscle Cars and Classics from Windsor and Early Birds from Barrie no duty or surprises

1 - 12 of 12 Posts