Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a picture of the new guage panel we will be putting where my radio and air conditioning controls were. I am not all that familiar with wiring. I am using a toggle switch to turn on the ignition and then use a push button start. i have some other toggles for the fuel pump, electric fan, etc.. Since I don't have an electric water pump I was going to use that to turn my alternator on and off when I race at the drag strip. The back of the panel has 4 connection points. If it isn't too much trouble could someone tell me what wiring and stuff I need to go purchase to wire the panel? I want to use the correct guage wire plus if i need any relays or fuses to be used for any of them.

I am also using an electric fuel pump. Do I need to purchase a wiring kit with relay for that or can I individually purchase what i need at the auto parts store? If so what do I need? A very specific "grocery list" would be nice. lol

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
a job as described requires a lot of planning. each component(gauges/switches/relays/circuit breakers/fuel pump etc.) has its wiring diagram. also needed is the vehicle wiring diagram -unless its drag only. i would advise to follow those diagrams and/or instructions accordingly. you will need plenty of 14-16 gauge wire for 12volts, ground, and sending units. you might also need 10-12g wire, for 12volts, to power a fuel pump for example.
you should not need a relay, or circuit breakers, for gauges but you will for power items/motors (fuel pump/window motor/electrc water pump/fan motors etc.)
also recommended are crimpers/terminals/solder gun, test light, meter, loom, tape etc etc

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed. It was mainly the guage wire to use for something like this. Didn't want to get a short or have over kill. I have someone coming over tomorrow that feels comfortable with wiring so we are going to lay out a plan. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts