Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed a new NAPA fuel pump on my 79 Vette 350 to replace my older pump that was running out of gas at 5500 rpm, it would cut out and hesitate. Did the install by the book, no pressure from the new fuel pump to the QJet. Primed the carb and it ran fine and then dies? Called Napa, they will order me a new one. The gas runs like crazy from the tank, had to use a brake bleeder clamps to stop the flow. Qjet rebuilt recently. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Used my Hayes shop manual and forums. I used grease to hold in the push rod. If I missed the push rod, how did I bolt the fuel pump on? Thanks for your help.

·
Administrator
15,816 Posts
Used my Hayes shop manual and forums. I used grease to hold in the push rod. If I missed the push rod, how did I bolt the fuel pump on? Thanks for your help.
It can be done, and it usually screws up the pump arm.

Up until they hung the AIR pump in front of those 2 holes there was a tool to hold the rod up.

With the pump in the way another procedure was needed.

When working flat rate every bit of time counts. Since the tool no longer was easy to use I took a hack saw blade, ground off all the teeth and would place the blade in the pump opening with the rod on the back side. Then slide the pump arm down the blade it ensure the rod was on the arm, start the bolts a couple of threads and slide the blade out, tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed the new fuel pump on the Vette, would not start. Primed the carb , it runs then dies. Took the new pump out and the push rod came down under the pump arm when I was installing it. Damaged the push rod. Exchanged the pump and ordered a new push rod. Vettes suck to work on, theres no room to work. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts