Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old stock style floor mats in the wagon were looking rather natty so I figured it was time for an upgrade. The upgrade was Lloyd Mats Velourtex mats with a Malibu SS emblem. I have these type of mats in the GTO, the daily and when the wife's daily's mats wear out she'll get some too.

Out with the old, in with the new.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Nice!

On a side note for anyone wanting correct 65-66 factory style repro mats, buy them from Hubbard's Impala parts. The 65-66 Impala mats are the same as the 65-66 Chevelle mats, and they have them in Black, blue and red. They are very different from (and much bigger than) the 67 Camaro repro mats shown in Rich's first picture.

For those with 67-68 Chevelles, they finally make correct 67-68 Chevelle/Impala factory style mats now too, so you you don't have to use the smaller Camaro mats anymore (that's all that was available for many years). NPD only has them in black. But Hubbard's has them in Black, blue and red.

:thumbsup:

Reactions: davewho1 and bobm67

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice!

On a side note for anyone wanting correct 65-66 factory style repro mats, buy them from Hubbard's Impala parts. The 65-66 Impala mats are the same as the 65-66 Chevelle mats, and they have them in Black, blue and red. They are very different from (and much bigger than) the 67 Camaro repro mats shown in Rich's first picture.

For those with 67-68 Chevelles, they finally make correct 67-68 Chevelle/Impala factory style mats now too, so you you don't have to use the smaller Camaro mats anymore (that's all that was available for many years). NPD only has them in black. But Hubbard's has them in Black, blue and red.

I must have gotten the 65-66 Impala mats when I replaced them in the coupe. They were much larger and covered more territory. Came with instructions on how to trim them for various models of cars at the molded in raised lines on the undersides.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Nice!

Good info there. I have GM mats out of a '72 in my '67 but always wanted to get a hold of the proper style mats. I'm going to look into those repro mats. Custom mats are easy, it's the OEM style that have been tough.
In Canada the mats were made in Toronto (Leaside or the Golden Mile) by Dominion and supplied for dealer installation. They used GM logos instead of the Chevy bow-tie. Speaking of which, I just remembered... Here's a '66 GM Canada mat that is creased and cracked, but I thought it was too unique to toss. Check out the neat GM Canada logo, and the bronze colour. Perfect for the '66 L34 Beaumont Sport Deluxe that I own in my head.;)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Is it just me or are floor mats crazy expensive? Worst thing is because of my oversized trans tunnel I’ll probably have to trim them as soon as I get them.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
I think in general rubber prices have been climbing. Rubber hoses are priced out of the market as nobody seems to carry them, it's all newfangled stuff that is supposedly better :noway:

Yes Rich, those Canadian mats were beefy. For many months of the year they would have seen snow & slush. The Chevelles were painted in enamel in Canada back then, inside, underneath, trunk, firewall. When it is freezing cold or cold & damp & you can't wash the car whenever, so the cars can stay covered in brine for long stretches. Also lots of gravel roads back then as I recall. Heck, when I visited Newfoundland in 1971 the main highway to St. John's was a largely deserted gravel road between fishing coves. GM Canada for a time even produced special Newfoundland Buicks via COPO with h.d. everything. The average daily driver had rust holes by the time it was 4 or 5 years old (early Datsuns, Toyotas, Fiats, Vegas & Pintos lasted 2 years before rusting through). Volvo built a 122 knockdown in Halifax and called in the "Volvo Canadian", Toyota created a Corolla Canadian with greatly improved rust proofing and a big battery.

Rereading the title of this thread I don't want to drift away. Remembering the cool wagons I saw in the 70's, I remember tri-5 2-door Handyman wagons with speed equipment, speed equipment decals & shag carpet throughout (maybe red, orange & yellow)

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
A good mat is a little pricy but most in stores are too small, dont cover enough and look cheesy

I ordered a set of Lloyds mats for my 67 Camino, love them! Super plush and huge. Covers all of it with no trimming at all..it was more of a cut pile, they matched the shade of red best they could after I sent them a carpet sample

You wont get a set and think you overpaid they really are nice.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I must have gotten the 65-66 Impala mats when I replaced them in the coupe. They were much larger and covered more territory. Came with instructions on how to trim them for various models of cars at the molded in raised lines on the undersides.
I can’t tell from the photos of your new mats, are the edges bound? I would definitely need to trim them a little and bound edges would mess me up.
I just received color samples from Lloyd’s (free, in about 2 days) and one seems to match.

Also, does anyone know how much narrower the Camaro mats are? Maybe that’s what I should be ordering.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts