Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new engine installed in my 72 chevelle. It has maybe 50 to 60 mles on it. Once I stop the car I have a small amount of oil drop from the area where the oil pan meets the trans cover plate. My oil pan is dry all around but I can see oil on the center of the plate. The one opinion I recieved so far is that since its a new motor the rear main seal will leak a little bit until the motor has been broken in. (500 miles ?)

Does anyone agree with that opinion? Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks

· Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Properly installed seals DON'T leak. There is no break in for seals. If it leaks now it will always leak. If the surface that the seal is riding on is gouged the gouge will cut the seal and then it will leak. If the seal is installed backwards it will leak. If the seal was installed and the sealing surface was dry ( not lubricated ) then the seal is probably friction burned and will leak. Just a few things to think about.

If the seal is installed correctly and the surface it is sealing is properly finished and was lubricated it probably won't leak. Not fundamental laws like "Sir Isaac Newtons's" but pretty close.

Bill

· Registered
1,350 Posts
x2

they leak or they seal, that's that.

Doesn't have to be the seal though, if they forgot to put a smidge of silicone at the rear main cap to block at the very back, then that can leak just like the seal.

There's also a cam plug in back that can leak as well as 2 pipe plugs on the galleries.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I found out that I have a 2 piece main seal. Does that make the job more labor intensive ? The place where I bought the engine from wants me to pour oil dye into the engine to try and identify where the leak is coming from.

Have you ever heard of this method? I just ran the car for ten minutes and I have oil dripping off the back om my oil pan dead center.

At least I have a warranty.

Thanks

· In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
25,548 Posts
you can get a fluorescent dye that you inspect with a black light. get the area clean and dry with brake clean, add the dye, run the engine a few minutes and inspect. if nothing run it a few more and inspect. if there's a flywheel cover drop it off. Point is to try to find it befoe it gets spread all over.

Is the builder local to you?

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The motor came from Seattle ( s and s engines ) i'm in Staten Island. The problem is I dont have a lift nor a garage so I would have to bring it to someone for the test. If I put the car on ramps and start the car will I get a true indication since the car would be on a tilt?

Thanks for the reply

· In Memoriam
25,548 Posts
yes, probably leak more and faster. sounds like you have a pretty big leak, work quickly before it get spread all over the place and you can't find the source. the stronger black light you have the better.

Of course, lawyers being what they are nobody could recommend you lay under the running car with the black light...... Of course, I myself have never done anything like that. ;) wheel chocks are good.

Have you checked the oil pressure sending unit and the back of the manifold?

· In Memoriam
25,548 Posts
please keep us updated on your efforts. many guys are interested in results with trans-continental engine warranty problems.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Tom,

Spoke to manufacturer today. I can take the car to shop of my choice. I pay up front then send bill and bad part/seal along with claim number and then get a check back for full amount.

I am getting the dye tonight and might be able to do the test tomorrow after work. One thing I forgot to mention is that I had an oil pressure guage instaled so that could be one of the suspects.

I'll keep you posted

· In Memoriam
25,548 Posts
Yes, please do. If it works as they say that would be an ideal situation. It's the part where they send you a check later that bothers me. Maybe it'll be cool. Just make sure you know where the oil is coming from before it goes to any shop. If you could get a pic of the fluorescent dye that would be good.

· In Memoriam
25,548 Posts
I think they mean the 5 quarts of oil in the pan. If it's a quart low I'd mix it into the quart and add. If you have the usual item it's a very small bottle, it could get trapped in the heads and valley and take time to mix down into the pan. if it's not low you could drain a quart, mix it in and pour it back in.

· Registered
88 Posts

· In Memoriam
25,548 Posts
can you tell if it's leaking out from between the pan and the plate or from around the dipstick tube itself?

how is the tube mounted at the top?

· Premium Member
1,415 Posts
How about the oil pan bolts? Have they loosened off??

Is it still leaking in the rear main seal area of the pan??

· In Memoriam
25,548 Posts
what Gilbert said. I was heading there, just too slow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.