Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to break in my .040 396. I idled the rpms up to 2000 for a 20 minute cam breakin. Well about 2 minutes into the break in, I noticed the passenger side primary header tubes cherry red. I first thought I must be running lean, but I noticed the driver side was normal, and the garage smelled alittle rich. I have a Edelbrock 750 manual choke, and Edelbrock intake, both which are new. A friend of mine mentioned to me that there may be some trash in the carb to cause the left bank to run lean. Do you guys have any suggestions? Or have any of you heard of these things happening? Some have told me to go ahead and finish breaking the cam in that this sort of thing is normal. In fact one guy talked to a ford mechanic and he said that red was good. ?????????

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Retarded timing will cause this. You should check the timing/dwell settings. And I'd run another 20 mins break-in.
Also, I usually run newly rebuilt engines for 35-40 mins @ 2250 rpm (2000-2500).

Nate

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks nate. I was afraid I wouldn't get any response. Sounds good, but why would only one side get hot? I'm really not crazy only one side was red.

Shannon

·
Registered
6,826 Posts
Not sure on that. Maybe your off-idle circuit is plugged on one side ???
You may want to look into the carb situation.
Is yout timing set right ?
Have you tried advancing it as far as you can get away with ?

Nate

[This message has been edited by SS3964N8 (edited 12-25-2001).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a dual plane. The best I can tell is the last three on the passenger side cherry up first. I don't run it very long to see if the front one will get red. Then again it has a 40 mile per hour wind comming right off the fan right next to it. I'm fixing to go out in my freezing shop and pull the carb apart.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Chevyboy67 she's been alot of work. I have some more recent photos I will post soon. We've lower her a little so she won't look like a 4x4 anymore.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Shannont- I rebuilt the whole top end of my 350 about a month ago as well as put a new cam in it. The cam is .234/.244 duration and .488/.510 lift. When we started it up and ran it at about 2000rpm to break in the cam the last 2 primaries on both sides were glowing red. It melted one of my spark plug boot and it wasn't even touching the primary. I dont know if its the cam that does this or what but after that first start up it doesn't get nearly as hot anymore. I have a stock manifold with a quadrajet that I have been using on it before i did the rebuild and before the rebuild it didnt get nearly as hot either. So I don't think it could be the carb really.

------------------
Ryan
1971 Chevelle SS
350ci Automatic
Nevada Silver W/ Black Stripes
Black Bucket Interior

·
Registered
687 Posts
What kind of headers are you using?Did you have any problems with them hitting anything?It looks good,I hope I can get that far along soon.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm using hooker headers, and they hit the steering shaft. Other than that they fit pretty well. They do however hug the starter silenoid. I bet I will have to put a heat shield over it before I get to far along.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Shannont, Very nice car.

Hopefully mine will be close to that stage soon (being painted now). What size wheel and tire combo are you running and how far did you lower it?

------------------
1967 Chevelle SS 496

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.