Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a new electrical problem in my 70 SS. Driving a few days ago I down shifted and accelerated, as I shifted the tach (aftermarket) went to zero, then I noticed the heater blower had stopped along with the radio (aftermarket) and the turn signals stopped working. When I got home I found 2 blown fuses...radio and turn signals. I didn't see anything obvious so I replaced the fuses, next time I drove the car same thing happened.
The new aftermarket radio hasn't been in the car very long and I guess could have a loose or grounding wire but I don't know why the turn signal fuse would blow too. Hmmm

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
If they are the old glass fuse, take a look at the wire inside. Is it 'splattered'?

That would indicate a dead short.

If the wire just melted, it indicates the fuse is carrying current close to it's rated value & has overloaded. You added a new radio? Perhaps it draws more current & a heavier fuse is reqd.

·
Gold Founding Member
5,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My dash harness had melted at the fuse box, I replaced the dash harness. I got a good used one from "harness-tweaker" on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts