Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Finally buttoning up my car and I need to order a new driveshaft but the engine isn't in. Car is a 70 with a glide and 12 bolt. Current driveshaft is 3" and measures 55.5 inches center to center on 1310 u-joints. Picked up a moser chromemoly 1350 pinion yoke already and want to order a strange 3.5 chromemoly driveshaft. Looks like the new pinion yoke is about .5 inches longer than the 1310 I pulled out. Should I tell strange to build me a new shaft 55 inches center to center? Motor is going to the dyno in a couple weeks and would like to have the driveshaft ready to go. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,717 Posts
I don’t feel it’s worth the risk to have a custom driveshaft made without hard dimensions. I would wait until the drivetrain is fully installed and then get measurements for driveshaft fabrication

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,298 Posts
Agreed. Let me tell you about my experience. I built a '62 Nova chassis car with a 4 link suspension. My driveshaft guy told me to set it at ride height, take a measurement, and subtract 1/2". It worked fine for about a year even at the track. Then I gave a 250# guy a ride down my road. The car must have set just a little lower and I probably hit a bump but when I hit 2nd, the drive shaft yoke bottomed out in the trans. The tail shaft housing broke off, the bell housing broke in two, the drive shaft bent, the front yoke broke, and my aluminum floor was ripped to shreds. After I got everything back together and was measuring for a new drive shaft, I removed the coil overs and cycled the rear end up and down thru its full travel and noticed that it got closer to the trans when it was high in the car. Measure carefully.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
Agree, it was years ago, but the driveshaft guy actually came out and measured mine at ride height with new trans in small town Illinois. (He wanted to see the car.). Big friends suck.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Denny is a friend of mine, and he would say the same thing. Fully assembled, and suspension at rest is the best way to measure. Ok, he would say the ONLY way to measure. Very precise guy he is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts