Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new Accel HEI in my 1970 454 with a new coil (2nd coil in less than 100 miles) and the car won't idle in gear, almost like it has no power, even wants to stall if I put the A/C on. 14 initial, 32 total all in by 3000. This problem has plagued me for some time. Also installed a new 750 Holley mech secondary.

Help!!! I want to drive this beast.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Need to be sure to have a good solid switched 12V to the BATT terminal of the HEI (Most pull it form the IGN terminal on the fuse box) and use a 12ga wire minimum. Don't use a ballast or resistor wiring for this.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
are you absolutely SURE you timed it correctly?? you could have it off by a bit if you got the teeth wrong. and are you using a vac. advance?? if so what's it running with it plugged up and what with it hooked up at idle. sounds definately like a timing problem

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
Big Block Chevy.net
proud owner of this site
(OO=ss=OO)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. How could I get the teeth wrong, the dist will only go in two ways, (180 degrees out). I had thought that it might be a few degrees off, because it wants 18-20 btc WITHOUT vac advance connected. Which seemed like a lot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Why is this your second coil in less than 100 miles? As stated before, make sure you have 12v at the distributor as anything less might cause you to burn up your HEI coil. Let us know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.