Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local shop has a 6" stainless Colt Python in stock. I have always wanted one ever since a friend had one for sale back in about 1990. I did not have my restricted firearms license yet (Canadian thing) so I missed out. Another friend bought it for $300!! after the original owner/idiot almost killed a guy while showing it off while drunk. No one hurt but lets just say the washing machine in the laundry room under his living room was DOA. Anyway, what do you guys think of the new Python compared to the originals? Both in quality and looks? Pricey handgun but the shop says they will take one of my seldom used pistols on trade towards the Python. I already have a S&W 686 Plus seven shot that I really like but the looks of a Python have always attracted me.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
I don't know anything about the new Pythons but the originals were great revolvers. I bought one new back in 82. It had the 8 inch barrel that later I wished I would of chosen the 6. If the new version is the same quality as the originals you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
read lots of happy people with the new pythons. ive got the poor man's python, colt model 3 5 7. jim

Reactions: hydro462

·
Registered
102 Posts
Originals were real works of art. If you have always wanted one, take the chance on the new one. I'm sure it will appreciate. You can always sell and replace the S&W.

·
Registered
603 Posts
the python is the one gun i have always wanted.since clear back in the 80's.now the originals are so expensive i won't buy one.beautiful guns.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
The issue with the Pythons is that they do not like to be fired double action. ALWAYS pull the hammer back, then fire. The mechanisms tend to stop working correctly if you just pull the trigger with the hammer in the up position (this happens over time - not instantly). As for the new ones, owners are saying that they are not the same quality as the old ones.

I honestly don't know what all the hype over Colt is all about. I have a Colt 1911 and my Desert Eagle 1911 runs circles around it (smooth slide, amazing trigger, etc.). As far as I am concerned, they are all over priced. The new ones are not the same and the price they are asking for them is insane. Unless you can score one for under $1,000, I would not purchase a new one - rip off.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
I'd like to see what the fuss is about their locking mechanism. I have ALWAYS preferred Smith's lockworx to Colt's. I would HIGHLY advise you to run the gun, before swapping a S&W for it.

PS hard to covet any iron down here right now; they'll bend you over for it. Yet, I have seen the "show ads" for he python and sort of got interested. After the election maybe. My old S&W K22 "kit gun" is the standard for revolver lock worx. Smooth as silk with that Smith "detent before fire" feature.

I do like how they're rigged the mainspring in the new Python. Ought give it a relatively "light" DA pull. But if you DA pull it all the time, it malfunctions????....? I haven't heard 71 Chevelle's criticism, as they havent been out that long to tell . And in fact, they would have run the thing 10,000 dry fires in DA mode so....? Where the facts?

But you need a DA to run well in DA . Otherwise carry an semi, imho. I've carried a semi since 1978. Now with age, and rolling my own rounds almost exclusively, I would prefer the utter simplicity and reliability of a wheelgun.

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
I'd like to see what the fuss is about their locking mechanism. I have ALWAYS preferred Smith's lockworx to Colt's. I would HIGHLY advise you to run the gun, before swapping a S&W for it.
Smith & Wesson makes excellent revolvers. I would pit my 686 revolvers against the Pythons without hesitation. I would also pit my Den Wesson against the Colt revolvers and come out on top.

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
basically on a old colt, the lock up is when the bolt pops up to lock the cylinder and the hand keeps pressure on the cylinder too, basically wedging the cylinder tight when firing. jim

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
744 Posts
A friend of mine purchased one when they first came back out. He got the 6" and I've been waiting for the 4" to be available. Here's a picture of an original and the new one.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
A local shop has a 6" stainless Colt Python in stock. I have always wanted one ever since a friend had one for sale back in about 1990. I did not have my restricted firearms license yet (Canadian thing) so I missed out. Another friend bought it for $300!! after the original owner/idiot almost killed a guy while showing it off while drunk. No one hurt but lets just say the washing machine in the laundry room under his living room was DOA. Anyway, what do you guys think of the new Python compared to the originals? Both in quality and looks? Pricey handgun but the shop says they will take one of my seldom used pistols on trade towards the Python. I already have a S&W 686 Plus seven shot that I really like but the looks of a Python have always attracted me.
Out of curiosity what is the retail price on the Python? If you're interested I have a like new 150th anniversary king cobra, 6", rarely fired.

ak67sd

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
I don't know anything about the new Pythons but the originals were great revolvers. I bought one new back in 82. It had the 8 inch barrel that later I wished I would of chosen the 6. If the new version is the same quality as the originals you can't go wrong.
Must of been an 80’s thing. Too much Dirty Harry on TV. In 1981 I bought a Dan Wesson 357 and just had to have the 8” barrel. Luckily the DWs had replaceable barrels and I changed it to a 2.5” about 15 years later. Great investment. I sold it a few years ago for 4x what I paid. Now the only revolver I own is a Rhino 200ds.
50A6CE97-DCEE-42EB-8B0A-3B17E45DF3B2.jpeg
I will only buy what I can carry now. Too many big guns in the safe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i'm actually a revolver freak. I prefer them over the semi's.. I have a older SW model 66 357 6 inch that I have had for over 20 years and love it. While i've always liked the python, I preferred to pick up a anaconda 44 some years back, that i also love. my only issues with the newer weapons is that the barrel's aren't pinned, like my 66. I passed up a complete Dan Wesson pistol pack a few years back and kick myself for it, as they are really cool as well. I wasn't aware that they were re making python's.. makes me wonder how that will effect the older python's values? I'll also have to assume that they start making the anaconda 44's again as well..

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Out of curiosity what is the retail price on the Python? If you're interested I have a like new 150th anniversary king cobra, 6", rarely fired.

ak67sd
The new Python 6" is around $2400 Canadian. Pricey, but we live in Canada where everything is pricey.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments gentlemen. As usual there is a lot of knowledge to be shared this site. After looking Steve's pics of the original and new Pythons I am kind of leaning towards an original. I contacted the old friend that bought the pistol back in 1990 and he still has it. Says it is still in like new condition and he rarely uses it. Still has original box, manual etc. Not for sale, but if he decides to sell I will be contacted first. In the meantime I will hold off on the new Python and search around for an original. Hard to find in Canada but they are around for a price. Thinking of retiring next spring and I think this would be a great retirement gift to myself.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
You guys mentioned the one thing I sort of regret, not buying a Dan Wesson "kit" when they first came out. Also an H&K, who had a "kit" as well. WIth their "octagonal rifling" if anyone recalls.

Anyway, Python nice; still prefer my Smith triple locks. EITHER would make an excellent retirement gift!

PS re the SW29, saw on AR TV when they profiled the 29 that they wanted a 4" nickle for the film, but the prop boys could only find a 6" in blue. MADE FAMOUS!

·
Registered
5,000 Posts

PS hard to covet any iron down here right now; they'll bend you over for it. Yet, I have seen the "show ads" for he python and sort of got interested. After the election maybe. My old S&W K22 "kit gun" is the standard for revolver lock worx. Smooth as silk with that Smith "detent before fire" feature.

I do like how they're rigged the mainspring in the new Python. Ought give it a relatively "light" DA pull. But if you DA pull it all the time, it malfunctions????....? I haven't heard 71 Chevelle's criticism, as they havent been out that long to tell . And in fact, they would have run the thing 10,000 dry fires in DA mode so....? Where the facts?

But you need a DA to run well in DA . Otherwise carry an semi, imho. I've carried a semi since 1978. Now with age, and rolling my own rounds almost exclusively, I would prefer the utter simplicity and reliability of a wheelgun.
I have had hundreds (maybe close to a thousand by now) of old Pythons on my workbench, so here's my take on it:

The reason why the V-spring action can fail after a lot of DA firing is the "bank vault" lockup. When you cock the hammer, the cylinder will move to the next chamber, lock in place and the pawl (aka the hand) will retract like on any revolver. However, when you pull the trigger, the pawl will move up against the ratchet again and push on it. At this point, the pawl is pushing the cylinder against the bolt, which in turn is resting against the frame. This gives the cylinder a more positive and consistent lockup, which results in better accuracy.

The most common failure in the V-spring action is that the tip of the pawl wears to the point that it can't push the cylinder into lockup anymore. DA firing can cause this, since you tend to pull the trigger harder than in SA. On Pythons that have been rode really hard, you can even see the side of the frame bulging from the pressure of the cylinder bolt.

The lock work in the new Python is totally different from the old one. It's based on the Mk III action (same as in Trooper Mk III, King Cobra, Anaconda etc), so it should be much more robust than the old "V-spring" action. However, it does include the "bank vault" lockup, so I would expect the same pawl wear to occur sooner or later. In all fairness: The gun will still work without the extra lockup and it take a lot of shooting to put it out of commission entirely, but it seems like this is a weak point inherited from the old action.

Personally, I'd look at the old Python as a target gun, rather than a carry gun. For 100% reliability, I'd take a S&W any day. The Python may be a tad more accurate, but you have to be a pretty darn good shot to notice any difference. I haven't seen much info on the accuracy of the new Python, but even if it's on par with the old one, it's more accuracy than most of us can use.

·
Registered
12,798 Posts

·
Registered
12,798 Posts
This my kind of Colt revolver.
Cimmeron Colt .45.JPG

Reactions: SS427Rick

·
Registered
14,547 Posts
single action army? jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts