Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little 400ish HP 396 has been fun but now I'm going big! There's nothing wrong with the 396, I just want to go big! So all the mods I just did to make it fuel injected will be coming off as well, going back to carbureted.

I'm going with a 598 c.i. short deck, with around 850-900 hp on pump gas.

I have never built anything with this kind of power before, so my question to you all is,

What are all the little things I need to do to make this car ready for this kind of power? I have a 12 bolt rear axle but I don't know what it can take. Summit Racing th400 with very little use on it, pretty sure it won't hold up though. Probably a new torque converter as well. Motor mounts anything special there?

I look forward to seeing your ideas and I appreciate the help!

·
Vendor
9,138 Posts
If you want that kind of power then I would build a 532 or a 565. No issue making 800-900HP on pump gas with either of those CID. You start putting that much stroke in a low deck they are just not good combinations.

·
Banned
786 Posts
If you want that kind of power then I would build a 532 or a 565. No issue making 800-900HP on pump gas with either of those CID. You start putting that much stroke in a low deck they are just not good combinations.
Out of curiosity, why?
Some day I want to build a mild 572 or something that makes the same power as my 489 while being milder

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise, I do appreciate it. I already have the shortblock ordered though so no going back now. It won't see much mileage though, occasional run down the track, sunday driver kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
6,262 Posts
why not use the fuel injection on the bigger engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why not use the fuel injection on the bigger engine?
I had a conversation with one of the efi tech guys at Edelbrock and he said it will not idle.. Even if I put in bigger injectors and reset the base setup to the new engine he said it probably wouldn't idle, something to do with the cam duration tapping into acceleration fuel at idle, a little above my head so I'll take his word for it!

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
746 Posts
I had a conversation with one of the efi tech guys at Edelbrock and he said it will not idle.. Even if I put in bigger injectors and reset the base setup to the new engine he said it probably wouldn't idle, something to do with the cam duration tapping into acceleration fuel at idle, a little above my head so I'll take his word for it!
That doesn't sound right. My SBC has EFI and the cam is 274/286 @ 0.050" with 0.704" lift. The idle is rough because of the cam but it has no problem sitting there idling.

https://youtu.be/xdfZDOpaFCc

Reactions: Pat_McNeil

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
Plan on spending a lot of time and money on stronger components, upgrading the fuel system and making the chassis work to hook up all that extra power. Ask me how I know. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So after looking into this, I called and was able to cancel my order. I'm now using my local builder for the new engine. Using an aftermarket block, bore somewhere between 4.500 & 4.600 and a stroke of 4.375 on a short deck. He found me a deal on some already ported & polished Brodix heads w/ Jesel shaft mounted rockers that another customer of his is selling.

Thanks for saving me from a costly mistake!

·
Vendor
9,138 Posts
I don't recommend more than 4.25 stroke in a Std deck if the engine is going to see street miles. With today's heads an a 4" stroke, 800 without breaking a sweat.

·
Registered
647 Posts
That's a big arm at 4.375. Oil control may be an issue. Hard to get a good oil pan for a 4.375 stroke in a stock chassis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts