Team Chevelle banner

New Booster Question

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  SS468 
#1 ·
I am getting ready to install a new booster on my '70. I have included pics of the old and new booster.

The old one had a clevis type pin on it just inside the plastic boot. I can't tell if it is just in a groove on the rod or if there's two lenghts of rods coming out of the back of the booster making up the overall length.

The new one definately has one long rod sticking out of the back of the booster. The new one came with the clevis, pin and cotter pin for the brake pedal. It also came with an extra 4" long rod. This rod has a groove in it with what appears to be a rubber 0-ring sitting in the groove.

I think I can adjust the rod that came in the booster to match the length of the old one. My question is what is the short extra rod for and do I need it?

Thx, Chris.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
My MC has the shallow recess. Does that mean that I use the rod that came on the new booster shown in the pic above? With different MC's requiring different length rods I need some help understanding the rod going thru the booster. How does the rod sticking out of the front of the booster attach to the rod sticking out of the back of the booster that goes to the pedal?

Another question I have is how the plastic lip on the back of the booster fits against the firewall. My original booster plastic lip was in line with the mounting flanges. The new one sticks off the flanges and as you can see in the pics it makes contact with the firewall before the booster flanges do. This doesn't look right. Is something wrong?

Thx.

Attachments

#12 ·
I don't think it does. I just know the plastic piece is contacting the firewall before the mounting flanges are. I will have to compress the plastic piece by tightening the 4 bolts. I don't know that the plastic piece is designed to be compressed.

I don't want to ruin the new booster if something is wrong. As you can see in my earlier pics the original booster's plastic piece was in line with the mounting flanges.

Thx for any help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.