Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New best being a picture perfect wheelie :)
_MG_2248.JPG
I had just got off a 3 day chassis dyno session, tuning in some changes this year, including my new Foxwell ported Dart tunnel ram Carb and Intake Show and Tell. Pictures and words just don't do it justice. I've been a machinist for 40 yrs and Scott is absolutely a machine with his porting! Here it is on my pump gas 540 (notice the Santos Mahogany plenum spacer)-
IMG_0359.jpg
Here it is compared to a port matched only R2 tunnel ram-
Edelbrock to Dart dyno.jpg
I don't rely on peak chassis dyno numbers, only averages, and they're way up. Also, the "past peak" is way better. I wanted to do more testing with carb & plenum spacers & header extensions but ran out of time wanting to make Lapeer Dragway's 11/7 "Grudge" event. They had an excellent radial track prep that day. First run-
I knew when it left it was too aggressive. Trying to save the back end, I tried peddling, but only made it worse. It scraped & tweaked the back bumper, hard enough to slightly lift one tire off the ground, then smashed the headers & bent the oil pan. I know, shift don't lift...never again. Lower header tubes were smashed 50% but the car was still run-able. I ran to the hardware store, got bolts and installed them in my TRZ a-arms to limit travel. Made another run with too much limiting.
Readjusted limiters and had a picture perfect run, less a new best. I think the header situation hurt power and I need to work on the converter.
All in all a good day and something to talk about for this winter.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
That engine is a beautiful piece! Like the no hood too :). I've never been that high but who knows if shifting would have brought it back down. Nice driving.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That engine is a beautiful piece! Like the no hood too :). I've never been that high but who knows if shifting would have brought it back down. Nice driving.
Thanks!
Last pic I saw of your car, you were also running the TRZ a-arms. How are you limiting the downward travel? Mine don't have bump stops like the factory, and the Calvert shocks don't stop it before crossmember hits pavement.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Th
Thanks!
Last pic I saw of your car, you were also running the TRZ a-arms. How are you limiting the downward travel? Mine don't have bump stops like the factory, and the Calvert shocks don't stop it before crossmember hits pavement.
They're the Autofab arms. I use a Tap bolt and it's limited to 3.5", it really could use less travel, will need a longer bolt to do it. Last Radial prep I had the front shocks full tight on extension and compression.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're the Autofab arms. I use a Tap bolt and it's limited to 3.5", it really could use less travel, will need a longer bolt to do it. Last Radial prep I had the front shocks full tight on extension and compression.
They look similar to the TRZ's. I meant; if yours had downward bump stops (on the lower a-arms) so the car can't hit the pavement. Mine have nothing and I think I'm going to have to incorporate something.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
They look similar to the TRZ's. I meant; if yours had downward bump stops (on the lower a-arms) so the car can't hit the pavement. Mine have nothing and I think I'm going to have to incorporate something.
Have you considered the Afco BNC shocks? Never bottomed out and don't have any stops other than the rack/crossmember. Have been high a couple times but never the bumper. I'd also limit the travel a lot.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What was the difference between the red and blue lines old vs new. What did you end up running on it. Motor looks awesome and car sounds great.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Davey is looking down and is very proud of you Monk.
Yeah, I think I saw him when I was up there :)
Missed seeing you and your crew this year. Hopefully next year the zombies will be gone.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you considered the Afco BNC shocks? Never bottomed out and don't have any stops other than the rack/crossmember. Have been high a couple times but never the bumper. I'd also limit the travel a lot.
I've actually acquired one of those shocks but need to purchase another one. Will probably send it back to Afco when I get another one and verify they're set-up the same.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What was the difference between the red and blue lines old vs new. What did you end up running on it. Motor looks awesome and car sounds great.
Thanks, it's a work in progress. The darker top lines are HP, the lighter bottom lines are torque. Blue is old intake, Red is new intake. They are lined up over RPM's as shown in the lower graph. Peak HP between the two are showing similar ~680 but the new intake has much broader power. At converter flash it was +40hp and +50hp at 7500 (not shown in this graph).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Thanks for the update. It’s been so quiet in here lately.

Looks like Lapeer is making things happen at the track and it’s gotten a little more spectator friendly, with the elevated bleachers closer to the track. Interesting use of the ISO containers.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
Cool pics and videos! You need to put windows in the floor!
I have to ask tho, how do you determine to make another pass after slamming down hard enough to bend the oil pan and possibly the pu and not worry about hurting the engine?
I don't know if I could do that after that kind of investment.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the update. It’s been so quiet in here lately.

Looks like Lapeer is making things happen at the track and it’s gotten a little more spectator friendly, with the elevated bleachers closer to the track. Interesting use of the ISO containers.
Another cool thing is, Lapeer bought the old MIS bleachers. There are cement pads already poured directly behind the bleachers in the videos where they will go. I suspect the current bleachers will be removed, since they're so close to the track (safety).

Speaking of safety; what do y'all think of the people sitting on the walls during all of this?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool pics and videos! You need to put windows in the floor!
I have to ask tho, how do you determine to make another pass after slamming down hard enough to bend the oil pan and possibly the pu and not worry about hurting the engine?
I don't know if I could do that after that kind of investment.
Oddly, it only bent the back of the pan and I knew this wasn't near the PU. I wouldn't have run it if it was near the PU.(y)

·
Premium Member
6,674 Posts
Nice car! Cool pictures and videos!
👍🏻

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Another cool thing is, Lapeer bought the old MIS bleachers. There are cement pads already poured directly behind the bleachers in the videos where they will go. I suspect the current bleachers will be removed, since they're so close to the track (safety).

Speaking of safety; what do y'all think of the people sitting on the walls during all of this?
Nope.

What springs are up front?

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Monk, sorry to hear about the damage due to the wheelstand. Looks cool, but not one bit fun to fix.

I run the TRZ arms as well and after replacing and re-routing tubes of my squished Lemon's headers I put these on the shocks:

Speedthane Shock Bumper Bump Stop Kit, 3 Inch (speedwaymotors.com)

Since my initial wheelstand and associated damage, I had gotten pretty good at front shock tuning and travel limiting based on Density Altitude and corresponding power.

However, after getting the carbs and engine dialed in after my last engine upgrade a switch from C14 to Q16 "just to see" on back to back passes at the track resulted in 5000 RPM flash stall and the perfect amount of wheelie on C14 to 5400 RPM flash stall and right up on the bumper on Q16. I was sick to look at the damage, but to my surprise the shock bumpers seemed to work and no damage to the headers this time.

Yeah........I won't make that mistake again either.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts