Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my 454 recently, there is no manifold on yet, so obviously no carb/ dist. I hooked up my ground wire to the block, and plugged my battery back in, it says its fully charged. Plugged in the starter w/ a remote starter clicker and it wouldnt turn. Also the lights, guages, nothing at all comes on. All the fuses are good, and there is just no power going through the harness, only the main power cable from battery to starter.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Not a great idea to try and spin a dry engine. I assume you haven't pumped up the oil because the intake manifold isn't installed.
Sure you hooked up the remote starter switch right? One lead to solenoid "S" and the other lead to battery (+)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's hooked up right. Wouldnt my guages and lights still come on? Im totally lost, I dont have that many wires or things to hook up.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Your lights are probably not coming on because you don't have the sheetmetal grounded. Guessing that you don't have a strap tied to the right inside fender from battery (-).
If you have the starter hooked up right, as you said, try another battery.
Still won't spin a dry engine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A ground to the inner fender? For the lights? I have a trunk mounted battery which is ground to the chassis, then in the front, the block is ground to the chassis also. Battery hooked up correctly, same with the starter, I thought it would be dead or drained from sitting 3 months but I took it in and they said it tested "perfect battery" I used a tester on my fuse box and there is zero power going into it.

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
Do you have a power lead from the battery to the fuse box? Or do you only have the cable to the starter?

Do you have the "Ford"-style starter solenoid in the trunk? Or did you just run the "live" battery cable all the way up to the stock GM starter solenoid?

If you have the Ford starter solenoid in the trunk, do you have a smaller (8-10 guage) wire that goes directly from the battery to the stock junction block (on radiator support)?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 0 or 2 Guage cable from the battery to the starter solenoid (cant remember exact guage) This is a 71 with a 70 front end.

Right now that main cable runs from the battery to the starter Power, then the IGN wire to starter. My Alternator isnt mounted but I pluged it in just to see if stuff came on. I havent really done a thing since I pulled the small block, nothings changed on the wiring.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,813 Posts
So is there a main power terminal lug on the radiator support that is supposed to have a hot wire from the battery connected to it?

Like I said, it should feed power from there to the "BAT" terminal on the horn relay, and feed from there to the bulk head connector/fuse block.

Or is the main power feed wire connected onto the same starter post along with the positive battery cable?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On the passenger rad support I have a black wire fed into a tiny little plastic mount/clip then a red wire comes off that, I used a tester on it and no power is coming through it. I feel like I missed a ground some place, but I barely touched anything, I THOUGHT I knew this harness better, Ive changed alot of things on over time, just like the alternator conversion (interally regulated)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by pnutkemist:
I have a 0 or 2 Guage cable from the battery to the starter solenoid (cant remember exact guage) This is a 71 with a 70 front end.

Right now that main cable runs from the battery to the starter Power, then the IGN wire to starter. My Alternator isnt mounted but I pluged it in just to see if stuff came on. I havent really done a thing since I pulled the small block, nothings changed on the wiring.
What about the wire from battery (-) to the right inside fender. Do you have that one?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John, My neg battery ground goes to the chassis from the trunk. Dean, that sounds about right. I probably have a wire around some place I missed, if not I'll run a new 10G wire to that terminal, that black wire is the starter ground? Which is the terminal facing on the oposite side from the engine? Im not home either so I'll have to wait till later to check the stuff I dont remember.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats what I thought originally. Im confused what the extra post is on stock starters. I never used it on small blocks.

·
Premium Member
13,924 Posts
If the extra post is a threaded stud sticking out of the front end of the starter, it is for a brace that should be installed from the block to the starter end.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Some guys at work told me my + cable from the battery should go straight into the alternator not the starter, is that right? Ive always had it run to the starter. It makes sence though, going to the alternator. It's cut to fit all the way from the trunk to the starter though, id hate to re-do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts