Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several of you have installed the newer retractable 3pt belts with new buckets, but has anyone done this with a bench? I've decided I like mine, but want the 3pt belts. How does it do?

------------------
David Reinecke - aka - FINE 68
1968 Chevelle 300 Sport Coupe Deluxe
www.geocities.com/jdreinecke

·
Registered
33 Posts
David-
I am in the process of putting a Bench seat back in my 64'El Camino and I too would like a 3 point retractable seat belt set-up.
The only things I have found so far are http://www.julianos.com and an aftermarket set-up for a JEEP.Other than that it's 5 point race harness'(and my car is not that fast!)
-Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan (edited 06-02-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I've been looking for a three point set up for my Elky for a long time too. The companys I've found are pricier than I'd like and every vehicle I've found in the junk yards have the retractors buried in the side panels. But, I just found that early 90's Chev pickups have free standing retractors with covers that bolt to the floor about the right place for Chevelles and Elky's. I'm going to get a set and try it out. You might look into it yourself and see what you think.

www.Jeffry72.50megs.com

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went to the SACHSE Rod Shop here locally and looked at the Juliano's 3-point Seatbelts and I think this is the way I am going to go! They seem very well made and come in a variety of colors.($179.00)for a pair.But what's your safety worth?-Dan

·
Registered
48 Posts
I got S-10 belts in my 71 Elkie. They work fine and the bone yard only wanted $50 for the pair.

------------------
1971 El Camino
tag: MNYPIT

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm going to look into the seats from a late model Dodge truck that incorporates the shoulder restraints into the backs of the seats. I don't know if it will fit yet, or even how it would look. I'm certainly going to check it out though.

------------------
Dan
'66 Malibu Convertible
'99 Expedition
'01 VR6 Jetta

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dan from Dallas,

Don't buy the expensive Juianos setup. Find the belt setup and brakets from a 82 El Camino. I have my 65 El Camino setup with these and the bench seat from the 82 also. See the picture below, and email me if you want more details.

Interior - 82 Elky bench and three point belts

------------------
Brian TC#1092, ACES#4374
My Garage
---------------------------------------------------------
1964 Malibu SS Convertible (Restored Garage Queen)
1965 El Camino (Current project)
1981 Corvette (Daily driver)

[This message has been edited by 65elcamino (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
33 Posts
65 ElCamino-
Haven't bought the seat belts yet,but I have a split bench(1964)without
any headrests.Your 65 looks great but I don't know if that set-up will work without the 82 style seat? I'm still deciding?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Dan,

You're right, without the headrest, it would make it hard to reach the belts from inside. The retractors are mounted at the bottom corner in back and the belts go through sliders loops which are mounted at the top corners. Then the belts go through the loops on the headrests.

You might be able to move the slider loop up onto the C pillar. This would make it easier to reach and would not require the headrests. Not sure, but would require some trial fitting.

The seat is a more comfortable ride then the original one. However, I have widened mine by 4" for a better fit. A plus was that I could incorporate a cup holder in the armrest. The original 82 seat only had a 6" wide armrest.

Actually, I must admit that my seat/belts conversion is not an easy or less expensive option. I went back and looked at the costs, about $600.00 invested to accomplish this change. But I like the results and feel much safer.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great! However, I think I'd need to change the seat too, and don't quite know where to mount the retractor on the floor - next to the seat or behind?

------------------

·
Registered
348 Posts
David,

I don't think my setup will work in your chevelle, It does not include covers for the retractor, these have to be custom made for the rear corners of the El Camino. The retractor must be mounted on the sidewall behind the seat, not on the floor.

I'm sorry, my input was more directed at Dan with his El Camino. But you should go to the salvage yards and look at possible hartop donors and then customize it for your needs. Or, you can buy the pre-engineered setups and save the effort required to customize one. I wanted more than just belts in my restification, such as a better seat, cup holder, and three point belts.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't worry about it, your post gave me some ideas of what to look for in my next junkyard run.

I too want more, specifically better belts. I'm half tempted to put in new buckets and a 5 pt harness, but I've done that before and it is a pain for a daily driver.

Thanks!

------------------

1 - 12 of 12 Posts