Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted a 68SS today for sale and contacted the owner. He told me how it used to have the original 396 but it was now busted. He told me he ordered a new 396 and put it in. I didn't know you could still get new 396's.
I'm a novice about engines and would appreciate your help.
He also said that if he kept it he was planning on putting the heads off the old engine on the new one when the warranty expired. Why would he do that?
Thanks for the help guys, I'm all glossy eyed because it's almost identical to my very first car I owned 24 yrs ago!

Gary

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
I'm not aware of being able to get a "new" 396 from Chev Parts. Maybe it was new in that it was "newly rebuilt" by someone or a rebuilder. And yes, I can see putting the ORIGINAL heads heads on a replacement engine. In fact, I can see trying to find a correctly dated and engine coded block and and putting as much as possible from the original engine back on it. In fact, if you get the car and he has EVERY or ANY pieces from the original engine, GET IT.
What he says is busted may be repairable. For example, if it had a cracked cylinder, it could be sleeved and rebuilt. Suddenly you would have a numbers matching car!

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
339 Posts
A lot of water has gone under the bridge since 68. Doubtful if this could be put in show condition. If it suits your needs and the body is solid, priced right, go for it. When you get that itch, have to scratch it. Just understand that the car is probably not going to be an investment that will appreciate. But then again......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tom and Tom. I 've got a 68 Malibu in my building that I've pulled the motor tranny and front clip off of, but I'm suffering from the "resto blues" and haven't touched it for months. I think I
went crazy when I saw that car. It has a different motor and tranny but it's a SS and it's running. My Malibu is tore apart with a lot of work ahead of it but it has the original everything except the radio.
I was thinking of just slapping the Malibu back together and selling it to cover the cost of the SS. The SS hasn't been totally restored the underside looks untouched. Since sleeping on it I'm thinking now about just going back to work on the Malibu, at least with it I'll know what has and hasn't been done to it.

Gary Davis

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
It is VERY EASY to become unmotivated with a resto and/or extensive refurbishing. You just need to give yourself a serious pep talk. Once you complete the task, you will be glad you did.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Gary,

As a 68 SS owner I think finishing your bu is as good as getting an SS, unless it is a smoking deal.(what was the asking price? As for Tom3's comment about show condition I am not exactly sure what he meant by show condition(original maybe?)I have seen some great show condition 68 restorations. But anyone doing a resto on their own car thinks it will make them money is in for a big suprise. The only way to make money is to restore someone elses car. Just my 2 cents.

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again guys, after talking with the guy again he told me he had to trade in the original block to get the "new" one at Advance Auto. After
further talking I decided it wasn't for me, he was asking 8000, I got him down to 7200. He was adamant about cash, not even a cashiers check would do, so I passed. Just the feel of that big block power in a running Chevelle made me all
wishy-washy. But I need to buckle down and get back to my Malibu, I'm sure when I'm behind the wheel cruising again all the pain and suffering will be more than worth it. Patience is a virtue!!!!!!
Just hurry up and give me more!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
There's just something strange about people who won't take a cashier's check or certified bank check. I've encountered a few of them myself, and in the long run, I was better off passing on whatever it was they were selling. You will be too. No way in hell am I going to walk into a total stranger's yard with several thousand dollars in my pocket. Forget it and move on.

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Gary,

I think you were right to pass. What kind of bonehead would "trade in" the original block. I bet someone got a smokin deal on a 396.........

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.