Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've made a move to something I've been putting off for many years now.

I've got parts ordered to put a transbrake in the Malibu. I really don't much care for t-brakes, but I'm leaving a ton on the table footbraking on the .400 Pro tree my local index racing runs. My average lights shallow footbraking are .600 and maybe .530-570 if I bump in more. I'm leaving almost a tenth and a half on the table right out of the gate against fellow racers running brakes.

So, even though I really don't want one, I think the car needs one to be competitive in the class I've chosen.

On order is a Griner Pro Start transbrake. This was recommended to me as the quickest th400 brake, built as a clean sheet of paper design machined from a block of billet aluminum and utilizes an internal solenoid.

Also coming is a gasket seal kit, Biondo Double O button and MSD 8735 Launch control 3 step.

In the past I wanted to put a brake in, but ATI keeps reminding me that my current Treemaster isn't built for t-brake use. At least once or twice in the past I gave up on installing the brake due to this fact. Not this time. I spoke with kenny Ford at PTC and am having another converter being built for my combination, yet be durable enough for t-brake use. My current converter flashes to 5900-6000 rpm, Kenny is planning the new PTC to be between 5500-6000 rpm.

If anything, I have been wanting to try a second converter to compare against the current ATI. You never know how good one is till you try it against something else.

Anyway, it's my plan to have the new t-brake setup installed for not this coming weekends race, but the next scheduled race in June. I need to get the trans buttoned up, all the electrical installed and get out and test once or twice at the track to familiarize myself with the operation as well as making any needed chassis tweaks.

wish me luck! (I'll need it as this is unchartered territory for me) ;)

Todd

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Todd, just a bit of advice. You may want to wire the transbrake to work in conjunction with the line lock. The theory behind this is, when you stage the car and take your foot off of the brake all of the backlash in the drivetrain relaxes. Now when the transbrake releases it slaps all of those parts together and makes for a slower reaction. If you use the line lock, when you step on the brake and grab the transbrake button the front brakes have some residual pressure and keep the car motionless. The other thing is it makes it more consistant staging. I don't know if you have ever noticed, but when some transbrake cars stage and the driver takes his foot off of the brake you will see the car lurch forward.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Ray is right, on my car it will rock a tad forward since I dont run a line lock. But I have never had a redlight from it. I tend to stage the car as far back as possible also.

Be very careful if I remember right you had some problems at one point with violent wheelies and crushing parts. The transbrake will make it that much worse.

On my 12 sec motor it wouldnt pick up the fronts with a 1.61 60ft, but on the brake launching at 3K it would pull both of them a couple inches with a 1.60.

Oh yeah and its sooo much funner. It hits way harder:yes:, and my reaction times went from 80 green to 20 red using the brake, staging the same.

Also its a good idea and you probably know this since I have seen your wiring pictures. Is to wire a master cutoff so that if that switch is in the off position you cannot accidently activate the transbrake.

I jsut do my burnout, roll forward flip the switch to arm it, stage the car, and hold the tbrake button down, let my foot off the brake, wait till I see the first amber, floor it and leave on the bottom amber. Of course though this is on a full tree.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Ive personally had a brake in my car for 2 years now and have only used it 6-10 times. its violent which is cool. but ive got to where Im very good on the foot-brake. and my reaction times are in the .02-.05 range. Im going to use it this wednesday to see if will help get me into the 10.99's. prev best was a 11.09.

thats a nice looking brake, looks to nice to be covered up almost. I use a pro-brake on a 2 step. I cant re-call the brand. but it came highly reccommended and so far its working great. and I also use a PTC. 10 inch 4200 stall. I would like to try a 8 inch for N/A to see how it would do. im sure it would pick up.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Well, I've made a move to something I've been putting off for many years now.

I've got parts ordered to put a transbrake in the Malibu. I really don't much care for t-brakes, but I'm leaving a ton on the table footbraking on the .400 Pro tree my local index racing runs. My average lights shallow footbraking are .600 and maybe .530-570 if I bump in more. I'm leaving almost a tenth and a half on the table right out of the gate against fellow racers running brakes.

So, even though I really don't want one, I think the car needs one to be competitive in the class I've chosen.

On order is a Griner Pro Start transbrake. This was recommended to me as the quickest th400 brake, built as a clean sheet of paper design machined from a block of billet aluminum and utilizes an internal solenoid.

Also coming is a gasket seal kit, Biondo Double O button and MSD 8735 Launch control 3 step.

In the past I wanted to put a brake in, but ATI keeps reminding me that my current Treemaster isn't built for t-brake use. At least once or twice in the past I gave up on installing the brake due to this fact. Not this time. I spoke with kenny Ford at PTC and am having another converter being built for my combination, yet be durable enough for t-brake use. My current converter flashes to 5900-6000 rpm, Kenny is planning the new PTC to be between 5500-6000 rpm.

If anything, I have been wanting to try a second converter to compare against the current ATI. You never know how good one is till you try it against something else.

Anyway, it's my plan to have the new t-brake setup installed for not this coming weekends race, but the next scheduled race in June. I need to get the trans buttoned up, all the electrical installed and get out and test once or twice at the track to familiarize myself with the operation as well as making any needed chassis tweaks.

wish me luck! (I'll need it as this is unchartered territory for me) ;)

Todd

I use an ATI Treemaster non MRT with a transbrake due to the fact they are lighter, Super Stock guys do the same

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Just make sure your wheelie bars are on ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Todd,
If the brake alone will not get you the lights you are looking for try a smaller front tire on the car. Index racing is very big in Houston now and you see a lot of cars running very small front runners so that you get the tire out of the beams quicker.
I installed a brake in mine and my reaction times are better but still not what I want them to be. We have cars that 60 ft in the 1.6 range and cut .20 to 30 lights somehow on the 4 tenths pro tree. I will be buying another set of front wheels for index racing with smaller tires pretty soon, and keep the larger tires for bracket racing. I am also going to try another button to see if that will help a few hundreds at the starting line also.

Good luck and keep us posted

Billy T

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Aw shucks,...here I thought you were going to ditch the auto and go stickshift. Maybe like a faceplated, clutchless 5-speed. :D
transbrake........well OK.;)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Interesting Todd. I knew you had talked about it before.
Didn't really expect you to actually do it though.
Don't get rid of that ati converter :D

Should be interesting to see how the car likes it.
While I enjoy footbraking, the T/B makes that tree a little easier ;)

Can't wait to here your results!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Transbrakes are a lot of fun.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Another thing to look into is a power interupter. That will lock out the brake for a predetermined amount of time while going down track so you can't accidentally bump the button and engage the brake. Mine is done through the delay box, but I believe someone is making just an interupter.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
My son used a transbrake a while back trying to go a little faster and it didn't do much. They are kind of hard on driveline parts behind the transmission.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Button and gasket/seal kit came today, 3 step due here tomorrow. Converter should be here Tuesday after the holiday, not sure when to expect the brake itself.

I have my next race on Monday, Memorial Day, so I'll start pulling the trans shortly there after getting to work installing the new parts.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Todd,

Good Luck Monday as well as with the changes.

When I talked to PTC they seemed VERY easy to work with and will tell you exactly what they are putting into your converter. I'll be real interested to see the results.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.