Team Chevelle banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reassembling my 67 Elky after soda blasting, body repair, engine freshening, painting etc. Ran fine in feb when disassembled, back together but when I turn the key - nada. Battery is good, new cables, took starter to Auto Zone to test - AOK. Pulled the steering wheel and the turn signal assembly is corroded and cruddy, I believe the neutral safety switch is in that assembly, as the purple wire from that steering column ribbon goes into the assembly (TH400 w/column shift)
Is there a way to bypass the safety switch to see if that is the problem? If so can you tell me how. Also, Year One refers to "green or white color coding for this part. To what does this refer.
Thanks
John

------------------
TC# 958
'67 Elky 396/325 TH400
----------------------------
"Speed Costs Money -
How Fast Ya Wanna Go?"

·
Gold Founding Member
63,364 Posts
The turn signal switch should have nothing to do with the N.S. switch

There should be a purple wire coming from the ignition, going into and back out of the N.S. switch on top of the steering column at it's base, the wire coming out goes to the "S" terminal on the starter and gets power when ign. is in "Start" position

The green wires on the N.S. switch are for the back up lights

make sure you have 12 volts going into the switch and also coming back out (when ign. is in the "start position")

you can send power to the starter solenoid by jumpering the two purple wires or touching a hot wire to the purple wire coming out of the switch going to the solenoid

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dean. I located the switch, juped it and it fired right up.
Connectors full of soda. Its always the little things, glad tou guys are around to bail me out! Now I just have to put the steering column back together!

Y'all are the best!
John

------------------
TC# 958
'67 Elky 396/325 TH400
----------------------------
"Speed Costs Money -
How Fast Ya Wanna Go?"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts