Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I need to know how to install a neutral safety switch in a B&M Prostick shifter, It is installed in 69 Chevelle, 350\th350. Should I modify the factory wiring, or make my own? ThANKS-Jason

·
Registered
111 Posts
Jason, When you by the shifter or the safty switch w/backup lite switch it should come with instructions. You need to tie into the backup light wire. You'll find it in that group of flat wires under the carpet on the drivers side. Follow it up under the dash to find a place to splice in. If you have a service manual it might tell you exactly which one or color. The park/neutral switch is at the bottom of the sterring column. On a 66 it is a seperate plug with purple wires. Run a wire from here to park/neutral switch and back and you should be good to go. It's not a hard job, you could use a test light to make it easier. Good luck, Rick..

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
If your car was a column shift, the original neutral safety switch is located at the base of the column. Pull off the plug with the two purple wires, and buy some wire to extend these wires to the 2 terminals on the B/M switch. If you dont want to cut your original connector off the factory harness then put male spade connectors on one end of your new wires to plug into the original connector.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
On my B&M Prostick, I cut into the wire going to the starter. I did it so it was hidden in the wiring trough on the firewall. Soldered, of course. My 67 was originaly a 3 on tree car so there wasn't any provision for this switch. Also, since it is primarly a race car, an extra couple wire neatly routed in view wasn't a problem. If I were more concerned about looks, I'd splice in at the starter and route the wires so they come up through the floorboard under the shifter. I didn't worry about the backup lights

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.