Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having some drivetrain work done on my 1970. It has a M20 in it and the guy mentioned that the neutral safety switch has gone bad (along with other problems). He mentioned that it's hard to get and wants $112 for one. Seems steep to me. Are they that hard to get?

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
That is steep. I'm sure there's a way to set up a safety switch on the clutch pedal. I'm thinking that rigging a brake light switch into the starter circuit would do the trick. (Of course the brake light switch would be hooked up to the clutch pedal.)

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 01-21-2000).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Is he talking about the clutch pedal safety switch? I dont remember a neutral safety switch on my 70 with a m21..it had backdrive linkage to the steering column for the reverse lights, and the safety switch on the clutch pedal. If it is that switch, I would try and get one off a different vehicle, say a 70s pickup which is common in junkyards. Otherwise scour the swapmeets, they are out there.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should probably check. I sent a e-mail to DZAUTO to see if there is such a thing. If the guy is only talking about the clutch pedal switch the only think wrong with it is the plunger is outside of the switch. All I need to do for that is reinsert it.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just bought a nos neutral safty switch last year had to get one from a place in texas it was about $40 it hooks up to the cluch petal. looked all over befor that very hard to find if you need a source repost and I will try to find name and # for you

------------------

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just went throught all of my manuals. It does show a neutral safety switch that is combined with the Backup light switch, but it has a comment that it's for auto trans only. I know this switch is activated by a rod from the transmission but I think that all it does it turn on the backup lights and prevents you from removing the key unless you are in reverse. I need to find out exactly which switch he's talking about and they aren't open again until Monday. It'll drive me crazy until then. Oh well.

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

[This message has been edited by DaveK (edited 01-21-2000).]

·
Registered
45 Posts
The neutral switch is located on the pedal bracing above the clutch pedal,with the accuating lever attached to the clutch pedal.On the factory manual shift depressing the clutch operated the neutral switch.112$,sounds like he is trying to pay is rent off you alone.A switch off a camaro,nova,gto,chevlle,cutlass,impala and possibly pickup's.67,68-72,73 should work.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Dave,
I read your email first. I don't know if it is still available, but the part number is (or was) 3983966. There HAS to be a ton of people out there who have disconnected theirs and will sell you a good one. Go to the ad section here on TC and place an ad. You'll probably get several responses. I don't know if 71-2 will work, but the book shows 70 to be by itself.
And yes, a neutral safety/backup switch is for a car with auto.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 01-21-2000).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 73 M20 and it has a switch that is activated by the shafts that come out of the tranny. It is built into the plate that the shafts come thru. I always thought this was a neutral safety switch. I would be happy to know that it is a reverse light switch. Does anyone know for sure?

Don

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all of you guy's help. This is a great web site!

------------------
Dave Knapp
TC #388
ACES # 3474
'70 SS 396

·
Administrator
16,170 Posts
I bypassed the clutch safety switch in all of my Chevelles. I figured I was smart enough to take it out of gear or push in the clutch when I start it and no one else gets a key (except the wife and she is smarter than me).

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought the switch from Chicago Muscle for 50.00. THe 69 switch is not the same as a 70.It hooks up to the clutch pedal that is why you have to push the pedal to the floor in order for the car to start.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Don- If the switch you are referring to is on the front lever of the side cover, it is for cars with the Transmission Controlled Spark system, known as TCS. It allows vacuum advance only in 4th gear after the engine has warmed up.

L

·
0 Posts
Try looking for the switch at your local GM parts counter. You'd be surprised at what is still available.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.