Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just joined on today and have my first problem.

I was getting no power down to the starter, thus no start. I replaced the ignition switch first, then did a continuity test on the neutral safety switch and was getting nothing. Replaced the switch and still had same problem. I jumpered out the switch and now all is OK. What I found out was that the switch was not making contact (closing) when the clutch was depressed. I tried to adjust the switch the best I could by fabricating a bracket to push the switch up higher, but still having the same problem. Has anyone run into this and if so, how did you remedy the situation?? I am at my wits on this and quit frankly, it is not very comfortable under the dash anymore.

Sorry so long,please HELP.

Thanks,
Len

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
The switch could simply be going bad and requires to be fully depressed to engauge the circut.

You should be able to get a new NS sw for your car at a local autopats store,STD MOTOR PRODUCTS should still be making that switch.

But keep it by passed for now so you can start & drive the car but be carfull you dont forget and crank it up while in gear causing accident/injury.

Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did put a new switch in, thinking that was the problem. Could the clutch pedal assembly be from a different year (possibly a 70 or something). I am not sure if there is a big difference in them since the 69 is the only year that uses this type of switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!

After thinking things through while not sleeping, I pulled the new switch out (AGAIN) and noticed that when I engaged the lever, the whole switch mechanism was turning also. I was not sure how to keep this from happening when the better half suggested super glue of all things. I told her it would not hold, but so far it has - I guess I owe her now. Anyhow if anyone reads this and has the same problem, this may be a start for you. Thanks to Scott for the reply - hope I can help someone else along the way or get more help along the way. OH yeah, The jumper will forever stay with the car incase of another malfunction. It is now my favorite tool.

Len

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
Super glue? You might want to reinforce it with some JB weld:yes:
I have no idea what you glued on it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wondered about the super glue myself (so far so good) The part that was rotating on me was the tumbler??? that encases the switch and the wires are connected to. I never thought of the JB weld. If there is another problem, I will go that route. How about the stuff on the info-mercials that you rub in your hands to form an epoxy - doesn't that also seel leeky plumbing in your house (just kidding)

Thanks for the JB Weld tip,
Len

1 - 6 of 6 Posts