Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The neighbors across the street from me, the husband, in their mid 20's-early 30's backed into my 1 and only work/service van causing $581 low est- $685 high est damage, he was in a HURRY and he always drives up in his front yard, backs into the street to leave, we're on a dead end road and only 1 house from the end with a legal turn around, I was leaving for work, there was a large box truck backing down our street with a large trailler with a pump machine on it already passed my van, I seen the dent, looked at the big truck and figured they did it, so I walked over to the guys and asked who was in charge, he said we didn't do that, so I got the phone # off the truck called their office and talked with owner or manager, he was on his way and I thought I better make a police report in case I have to take it to court, so while I'm talking with the big truck owner/manager and the cop my wife had rewound our security dvr and found the guy across the street backed into my van and just left, the vid showed my van rocked pretty good but I don't think he was going to say a thing unless he was caught, his wife is on another cam we have running into the rear of a late model pickup at the stop sign 3 weeks before, she asked me if she could just write me a chk because she didn't want to turn more into the ins. co., I said as long as it's good and I get my van fixed, so now it's in the body shop and I'm trying to work out of my non-work pickup, I guess on the plus side Im having the body shop fix the paint and flaking clear coat, vans an '05 that I paid 8500 in '08, the shop that's going to paint my chevelle is doing the work, lowest bid also, and Id rather him fix my van anyway, wow this got long.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Been there done that, neighbors 03 mustang rolled out of their driveway and hit my truck front bumper. No real damage to me, but busted their tail light.

Good thing, they were in the no pot, no window club.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I would have had my chevelle here and he carelessly backed into that I'd probably be in jail right now, his wife has enough sense to use the turn around 25 feet away but he still drives up in the grass and backs into the street, we aren't allowed driveways in front per city code and with a 6' city fence on 1 side of the alley and my 6' fence I can't get my van in and out of my back driveway, makes it useless, so we're stuck street parking, even got a ticket for parking in OUR grass off the street, parallel with the curb.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
....my wife had rewound our security dvr and found the guy across the street backed into my van and just left
I just installed a 6 cam setup around our house. Ever since the D'bag and his 3 pre-teen boys moved in next door, we figured it was time. Over the Summer, the kids used chunks of concrete to dislodge their ball from a tree and broke a couple yard lights along the driveway. If one of our cars were there... They denied it until one fessed up. The old man is useless, as I've already confronted him on other "un-neighborly" actions. so as these kids get older I foresee possible issues. Things these kids say and do (dropping F-bombs at 12 years old)... my old man would have pounded me. They know about my 66', and I have a cam squarely on the garage and my workshop. It's a shame it has to come to this... but, video does not lie...

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Just walked back in from the shop and found a note in the front door. A kid hit our mailbox and snapped off the post. Honest kid, I'm impressed.

As I have everything but a mailbox on hand to fix it, I think I'll let him/her (signed the note Morgan, could be either I guess) off the hook as I'm sure the car has some damage. I'll call the number and thank him/her for leaving the note.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
You did the right thing, treat this as an unspoken warning. If it happens again call the cops, let them file a report, he can then deal with his insurance. You won't change his behavior, it's not your job, he now knows you have a security camera which should coerce him into doing the right thing in the future. In the future, be cordial, he's not your friend and doesn't need to be, but there is no need to have a ongoing feud with them.

Good luck, hopefully they move in the near future.

Steve R

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's almost funny he texted me friday evening quote "Van doing ok? Not here tomorrow night so keep an eye on the place if you could", I texted back the following day "Hi Graham, vans in the body shop, we'll keep a watch out", my wife bought this house in '86, I'v been here 14 years and we try to be neighborly even when they left for 4 days the first day he left an areosol can in the package tray of 1 of the cars and it blew the back glass out the first day they were gone, I didn't know they went on a 4 day cruise but my wife and I covered the car with a big blue tarp and blocks to hold it down, it was raining a lot then, this was 2 mons. ago, his next door neighbor said it sounded like a bomb went off and only his wife said thank you for covering HIS car, well maybe he learned something if not he might get tired of paying damages, he knows I have 8 cams on 24/7 record, 2 at 2 dif angles on the trucks/yard/street, $581 and change out of his pocket and into my favorite painters, rick.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
...he knows I have 8 cams on 24/7 record, 2 at 2 dif angles on the trucks/yard/street
...one must be selective in camera placement. Although it varies State to State, it's usually illegal to have cameras directed towards others dwellings. (not implying you do Rick)

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I started with 1 cam because someone tried getting into my back fence by my garage where I have 2 harleys, then bought a 4 wireless dvr set-up then it went to another 4 wireless dvr set-up, new 5/8th's board on board yella wood fence, I'd like to put a machine gun up in a dormer in front and rear but that for sure will get me in some trouble, lol, but I really don't have any aimed where it's not only watching my property, I can see his cars though, they're right across from mine, can't really help not, I know accidents happen but carelessness is just stupid and acting like it's no big deal?

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Rick, I can understand how a mistake could have been made with the box van. I hope you apologized profusely to the work crew after you found out you made a mistake. Actually compensating them financially would have been in order as you most likely caused a big delay in their schedule.
That being said your neighbor sounds like a piece of crap. Having to have security cameras, having to park in the street and having pain in the ass neighbors would be enough to make me move to an area where i didnt have to deal with such inconveniences.
I can sympathise with you in a small way. I have a neighbor that lives right across the street that blocks my driveway 360 days a year. They have a two car garage and a 60 foot long driveway but chooses not to use them. She chooses to park right across from my driveway. Night and day. They are the only household on my street that parks a car in the street. I have almost hit her car several times when backing out of my driveway. Once during the summer and i was driving a big Oldsmobile i had to make about a 5 point turn to get the car in the driveway due to her minivan being parked where she does. I called her every name in the book while she was standing on the other side of her van without my knowledge. She heard every word and immediately came over and apologized for inconveniencing me. However she never moved her van and continued to block my driveway?????????????

·
Premium Member
4,277 Posts
Neighbor issues, especially in Florida, is normal living.

This sounds corny but "Forgive, but never, ever forget. " You still got to live across from them.

If he sees someone trying to break into your property one day, hopefully he will do the right thing,

rather than turn the other way.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Brad, I think that would drive me crazier than the problem I have, I know they, my neighbor, has no where else to park, your neighbor chooses to purposely block or cause problems with your driveway, as far as moving that will never happen, my wife bought this house in '86, we paid it off in'09 and she is planted like an oak tree here, wants to leave it to the kids thing and I understand.

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Rick, I understand how you and your wife are comfortable at your home. The things you describe seem unexceptable to me but you are used to them and that is normal living for your family. Aside from my neighbor blocking my driveway (which drives me crazy) that family and all the other neighbors have never been a problem. Have lived at this same place since 87.
Guess it is all what one gets used to. Prior to 87 I had the misfortune of living in part of the city of Pittsburgh. Talk about bad neighbors. My next door neighbor broke into my house twice and robbed me. After we moved he ended up murdering his second wife and was sent to prison for life. My car (econo hatchback) had the rear window smashed and thousands of $$ of tools were stolen. That was a bad neighborhood and I couldnt wait to get out.
I guess if we took all the nuts and put them in one location the Earth would tip over.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks for the reminder why I don't have neighbors. It's an 1/8 mile from my garage door to the road. No chance of anyone hitting my cars.

·
Premium Member
8,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had made a police report because I thought at first the company with the large box truck and man hole pump machine on a large trailer backing down the street did it and said they didn't which I found out real quick they didn't but it was after I made the call, the hit and run investigator that seen the video left his card on their door, otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't have said or done anything about it, I would have not called the police if the neighbor would have said he did do it or left a note, wish I knew how to put the video on here, rocked my 3/4 ton Express 2500 loaded with tools and parts, I really did think it was only a couple hundred bucks damage but it's more of a principle thing, I respect other peoples property and expect the same., in 40+ years of driving I can't think of a time I damaged someone else's car or truck, banged up a lot of my own though.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I got lucky. Neighbor's friend backed into my 2014 Sierra. He knocked on my door right away and told me what happened. Damage of $1100. He paid for the repair out of pocket. No insurance or police involvement. Too bad you had to nudge your neighbor with video evidence. Honest people are getting difficult to find as the years roll on.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
I got lucky. Neighbor's friend backed into my 2014 Sierra. He knocked on my door right away and told me what happened. Damage of $1100. He paid for the repair out of pocket. No insurance or police involvement. Too bad you had to nudge your neighbor with video evidence. Honest people are getting difficult to find as the years roll on.
That's the sad truth...

Thankfully, all my neighbors are really good, easy to get along with, friendly, watch out for each other, and as far as I can tell, honest...

And while I try to keep stuff hidden behind the fence, no one has complained about car projects when I do have them parking in front (or front yard re-landscaping taking several seasons)... :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts